Answered

Delay from Connect Line In

• 6 October 2017
  • 9 replies

Here's my setup that Im trying to fix:

1969 Pioneer record player and Tivoli CD inputs going into a 1969 Pioneer receiver. From this device I've got a line in into a Sonos Connect. I then have grouped 5 other Sonos speakers throughout my house. When playing from the line in/Connect to the Sonos group of speakers I've got a delay. I'd like to be able to leave the Original Pioneer Speakers playing near the receive when I play my record player or CD player, and also have the Sonos group play simultaneously. Ive got the advanced audio setting set to "uncompressed" which helped but there is still a delay that is too significant to have both old speakers and Sonos on at the same time. Is there an option to fix this?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 6 October 2017, 22:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

There is always going to be a delay on the line-in, it needs to buffer the input in order to stream it. The solution is to pick one device and hook it up to the line-in on the Connect. Personally I would pick the turntable (you may need a phono pre-amp if your turntable has none). Then Connect the analog output on the Connect to the appropriate line-level input on the receiver. That way, the receiver input will be delayed the same as the Sonos speakers and all should be in sync.

As for the CD? Rip all your CD's to FLAC files and sell it on e-bay. 😉
I had a feeling this might be the case. I am going to play with the line in to Connect from one device and then line out to the receiver. Maybe I can find a way to switch (line in to Connect) manually between the two devices without much trouble. And as for the CDs I totally get you, but we are doing it up old school, I just bought the CD player so we could re-live the CD days too 🙂 We ripped tons, but kept a bunch of favorites around! Thanks for your help!!!
Won't the receiver be an effective switch for you? Connect the receiver to the CONNECT, and connect the CD and record player to the receiver. I'm assuming (hoping?) that the receiver has 2 tape inputs, since one would be used for the CD player, the other for the CONNECT, and of course the Phono input for the record player. Which is convenient, so you wouldn't have to purchase a pre-amp, since it's built in to the receiver.
There is always going to be a delay on the line-in, it needs to buffer the input in order to stream it. The solution is to pick one device and hook it up to the line-in on the Connect. Personally I would pick the turntable (you may need a phono pre-amp if your turntable has none). Then Connect the analog output on the Connect to the appropriate line-level input on the receiver. That way, the receiver input will be delayed the same as the Sonos speakers and all should be in sync.

As for the CD? Rip all your CD's to FLAC files and sell it on e-bay. ;)

This did the trick. I do need a pre-amp for the turntable now, but the delay is gone. Thanks again for your help!
Won't the receiver be an effective switch for you? Connect the receiver to the CONNECT, and connect the CD and record player to the receiver. I'm assuming (hoping?) that the receiver has 2 tape inputs, since one would be used for the CD player, the other for the CONNECT, and of course the Phono input for the record player. Which is convenient, so you wouldn't have to purchase a pre-amp, since it's built in to the receiver.

This is how I had it, but I had a delay since their is a pair of speakers that I want to use with the receiver. The receiver and Sonos connect are out of sync. Thanks!
Userlevel 1
One solution if you have an older receiver with a tape output and a tape monitor input is to connect the CONNECT:LineIn to Reciever:TapeOut, and the CONNECT:LineOut to Receiver:TapeMonitor. Then use the tape monitor when you want to listen to anything on the SONOS network, including the receiver's other inputs. This works for me.
One solution if you have an older receiver with a tape output and a tape monitor input is to connect the CONNECT:LineIn to Reciever:TapeOut, and the CONNECT:LineOut to Receiver:TapeMonitor. Then use the tape monitor when you want to listen to anything on the SONOS network, including the receiver's other inputs. This works for me.

I would second this. I'm using the tape in/out connections on my trusty Arcam A75 to hook up to the Connect and when I choose line-in as a feed into the Sonos network there is no latency on playback from my record deck through the receiver. As you are then effectively 'listening in' to the signal that would have gone to the tape deck for recording, you are hearing the source (i.e. record deck) from the receiver (and it's connected speakers) on the way back in, rather than before it goes out to the Sonos network. Old school tech saves the day! I only bought a second hand Connect based on info in these threads, so glad it works and I can listen to vinyl in any room!!
There is another workaround if you have a more modern amp with 2 or 3 zones. Hook the line out from the Sonos to any free input on the amp, and hook the line in on the Sonos to the (line level, not speaker) output of zone 2 or 3. Then select the input source you want to listen to with zone 2 or 3 while keeping the input on the main zone set to the Sonos source. By using zone 3 I am now able to listen to the 2 sets of amplified speakers I have on zones 1 and 2. Zone 1 is effectively monitoring zone 3 through the Connect.