Answered

Decisions: Sonos Connect:Amp or new Sonos Amp?

• 30 November 2018
  • 3 replies

For black Friday, I recently just purchased a Sonos & Sonance outdoor speaker bundle from Best Buy for a really good price that I couldn't pass up. My plan was to hook the speakers up for an outdoor living room type area. Right now, I just have a portable projector and screen, but I am wanting a more permanent solution with a budget tv installed. Upon researching on these forums, I'm now a bit concerned about the delay that people have experienced with hooking up the Connect: Amp with a tv. My Mars Nebula projector has a delay when I connect it to my outdoor bluetooth speaker and it is really annoying. I've seen posts where connecting the tv to the Connect:Amp with the headphone jack works. However, the tvs I have been looking at, don't have that connection option and I'm guessing I would have to use the optical out and then convert the signal to analog?
Should I not be concerned and just install the Sonos/Sonance bundle or should I look into keeping the speakers and selling the Connect:Amp? I then would buy the new Amp. I would be saving a couple hundred $ if I'm able to just keep the Connect:Amp. But I just don't want to run into any issues. Thanks.
icon

Best answer by MikeV 30 November 2018, 14:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

What did you decide? Just a thought but can’t you line up the audio by going into TV settings and adjusting the audio delay? I could be wrong but I think most TVs these days have that option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I will note that I don't have a Connect:Amp, but I've experienced such delays using the Line In on a Connect.
It's the same as the CONNECT: ~70ms if 'Audio Compression' is set to 'Uncompressed', a couple of seconds if it's set to 'Compressed'. This is by design, of course.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The new Amp with its HDMI-ARC connection (or optical, with the optical to HDMI adapter - not included with the Amp) will definitely have the response time you're looking for, for your projector audio. It's very likely that there will be a noticeable delay using the analog Line In on the Connect:Amp. If that's a key thing for you, I'd say to get the Amp and sell the Connect:Amp.

I will note that I don't have a Connect:Amp, but I've experienced such delays using the Line In on a Connect.