Answered

Create a Rack mountable amp.

• 20 March 2018
  • 8 replies

Now that Sonos can be controlled by the most home automation systems it would be very nice that there comes a Sonos Multi Zone Amp such as the Denon Heos Drive. Now we have to stack the sonos amp and the clients doesn't like that. It isn't a professional solution for that kind a clients.
So my Question is if there is an idea for that kind of installations to create a Multi zone amp
icon

Best answer by Keith N 23 March 2018, 00:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, David_219. Thanks for posting and for the hardware request. I'll be happy to forward this along to the team for consideration. Thanks again and feel free to keep the conversation going!
Just a thought...Penn Elcom makes a custom 3U rack shelf to hold two Connect:Amps.
https://www.customavrack.com Will make custom faceplates for rackmounts, too.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
And just to add that Penn Elcom also make a custom 2U rack shelf to hold three Connects (previously ZP90).
I know the racks exist but I still doesnt like the solutions. Absolutely not for clients who invest in a expensive homecontrol system whith all possibilitys. They Like to see a beautiful solution for their audio also. I prefer Sonos because they have the most services and its one the first of his kind, but I mostly have to place other systems for their decent look when its a bigger installation. I have several installations whith 9 - 12 audiozones.
There's no requirement that the customer needs to see the amp, it could easily be behind a blank faceplate, since they can be operated by wireless commands, if you really feel the need to have them in the rack.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
4-Zone Rack mount is a must. Higher Clientele want a clean system. Sure you can sell 4 Connect Amps but that's 4 AC ports you gotta use up. As much as I like Wifi control the integration with automation systems is going to be more reliable with RS-232 or IP Control wired. I'm pretty sure Sonos knows this.
Not to denigrate your request, but how many units of this type do you thing Sonos would be able to sell? Would it be worth it to them to spin up a manufacturing line in order to make this?

I don't know anything about their manufacturing costs, but my guess would be that the number of sales of these types of devices wouldn't cover the cost for design and manufacturing.

That doesn't change your desire for such a device, though. Maybe they have research that suggests it might be profitable for them to do this, and are actually working on such a device right now.