Answered

Constant static hiss when not playing on Play 5

• 28 February 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
my play 5 emits a static hiss from the speaker when music nothing is playing. there is nothing attached to the line-in and the hiss continues no matter how long all music services have stopped playing for. i have tried unplugging the power supply and replugging it to no avail. my diagnostic support number is 507808388. many thanks for any help as the hiss is extremely frustrating!
icon

Best answer by Edward R 2 March 2018, 15:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, eprparadox. How frustrating. I would advise that you try a Factory Reset, then attempt to set up this device from scratch. If this doesn't offer any resolution, I think it might be best that you get in touch with our support team via telephone. They will be able to advise as to the next best steps. Many thanks.
A note to our users: Please do not perform a Factory Reset unless expressly advised by a Sonos representative.
Well - my Play 5 is doing the same thing - so loud and annoying! I have 3 play 5 first gens and apparently this is "expected behavior" so I guess they expected their speakers to fail.... I am more than disappointed - this is the response so far that I have received

"Hello Debbie,
Thanks for the update and the steps taken so far to help troubleshoot the issue. We understand the frustration that this has caused. The sound you are hearing is expected behavior from the Play:5Gen1, however we’ll be happy to escalate this case to our Tier 2 team to review and to schedule a call back to live troubleshoot the issue further. So that we can get this case escalated, we’ll need a bit more information."

So I guess I can "expect" the other to to fail soon as well? I have a large investment into my sonos system and I participated in their beta tests for a long time. Maybe that is why there is a Gen 2? if so, I hope they will repair or replace! I will keep you posted on my progress