Question

Considering Sonos but there's stuff that I don't understand....

• 13 December 2016
  • 2 replies

I've been teetering on the edge of trying Sonos for a while. I've learnt quite a bit from reading threads here but still have a couple of questions.

The first question concerns the role of the Sonos controller app when streaming from Spotify or TuniIn Radio. If the controller app lives on my phone and I start Sonos playing from a playlist or a TuneIn radio station, what happens if I then leave the house with my phone? Does Sonos just continue streaming music tracks (or radio), or does it stop when the controller app goes out of network range? Having initiated a Spotify playlist, for instance, does the Sonos equipment itself then handle all following network dialogue direct with Spotify, or does all streamed content have to be effectively routed to Sonos via the controller app - in this case my phone? OK, I could get round the problem by using another dedicated device to host the controller app, but I don't want to do that unless its absolutely necessary.

The second question concerns virtual surround sound from a Playbar. I understand that Sonos virtual surround sound attempts to create the illusion of additional surround speakers, but I'd like to understand what happens if a pair of Play1s are used as rear speakers with a Playbar WITHOUT a 5.1 source. In other words, when producing virtual surround sound, does the Playbar make use of the additional Play 1s to enhance the overall effect? If so, how well does this work? Or do the Play 1s only ever get used if there's a 5.1 source?

Thanks,

Mike

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

If the controller app lives on my phone and I start Sonos playing from a playlist or a TuneIn radio station, what happens if I then leave the house with my phone? Does Sonos just continue streaming music tracks (or radio), or does it stop when the controller app goes out of network range?

Keeps streaming.

Having initiated a Spotify playlist, for instance, does the Sonos equipment itself then handle all following network dialogue direct with Spotify, or does all streamed content have to be effectively routed to Sonos via the controller app - in this case my phone?

Sonos streams direct from the source to the Sonos unit. The controller device is not involved except as a controller.

Can't answer the Playbar 5.1 question, mine is 3,0.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The PLAYBAR will take stereo audio and create a simulated surround sound that's quite good. It'll actually do that even if you just have a PLAYBAR as the angled side speakers will try to throw surround audio to the back of the sound stage.