Connecting ZP90 to Samsung UN60JU6390

• 30 September 2016
  • 8 replies

Trying to connect the following:

Samsung UN60JU6390
ZP90
Play 1
Play 3

I have an optical line connected between the ZP90 and the Samsung.

I cannot get it to connect.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get this to work?

Thanks for your help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

What are you trying to do? The optical on the ZP90 is an output not an input, so if you are trying to get sound from a TV that way there is absolutely no chance, I'm afraid.
So how can I connect the TV to my Sonos? Is there any way?
The optical on the ZP90 (Connect) is an output, as is the optical on the TV. There is no optical input on the ZP90.

According to spec, the Samsung UN60JU6390 does have an "audio out minijack" which probably means a 3.5mm stereo output jack for headphones. So you could get a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable and connect it that way, but I'm not sure where that jack is or what the effect on the sound would be. Often headphones are not the best sound source. It may also be front located, so stringing cables may be unsightly. You could also get a DAC (Digit-to-Analog Converter) to place between the optical out on the TV and the analog input on the ZP90.

Now how you proceed depends on how you wish to use the other Sonos speakers. If they are in the same room, well that may be difficult because of the inherent delay on the line-in. I would suggest the headphone jack for this purpose, if the cabling is practical. This will more than likely turn off the internal TV speakers so any delay is masked. If you just wish to send TV audio to other rooms, then the DAC is your best bet, because you can usually output via the optical while also playing the internal speakers of the TV. The sound will also be delayed in comparison with the TV speakers, but since the speakers are in other rooms, you shouldn't notice.
Or you could buy a Playbar, which would be better suited to your purpose of TV sound, but I appreciate that's an expensive option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That TV has an audio out (mini-jack) - I assume that is the 3,5mm line-out - in that case plug that into your ZP90

But it will be horrible with a minimum 70 mS delay between video and audio

Best get a Playbar
Thank you very much for your help
I have purchased a DAC and connected the optical to the tv and the analog to the ZP90. I cannot figure out how to get it to connect to my play 1 and 3. I tried grouping them all together. Can someone walk me through the process please?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi
Assuming the 3 zones are connected and showing on the SONOS app click 'Line in' select the ZP90 zone and play.
Fairly sure its that simple.
Ignore the title but you may find this helpful and or interesting.
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/disappointment-internal-dac-on-sonos-connect-40920
cheers