Answered

Connecting turntable to Connect: Amp + to the rest of the Sonos speakers

• 24 January 2022
  • 10 replies

Badge

Hello,

I realize this question has been asked a bunch before, but to be sure of my situation I’m hoping to get some help with what I want to achieve.  Not the most technically savvy person, so hoping to get some guidance.

We have a multi-Sonos speaker home and in the living room, have my old B&W speakers connected to the Connect: Amp. We also have a Marantz 2230 that we use specifically to listen to vinyl on our Technics SL-1710 turntable.  I want to bridge everything so that we can play records and hear them on the B&W’s, as well as the rest of the Sonos speakers throughout the house - as well as just listen to the turntable in the sweet spot in the living room via the B&W’s.

Is this do-able?  If so, is some kind person here able to detail the connectivity process in order to make this happen?  I understand this will require a preamp. Beyond that, just curious to know about connections and such. 

Appreciate anything you can tell me.

Thanks!

Steven

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 24 January 2022, 21:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

You won’t require an additional phono pre-amp unless you’re looking to retire the Marantz. Keep the turntable attached to the phono inputs on the Marantz as it presumably is already. Run RCA cables from the TAPE OUT on the Marantz to the RCA inputs on the Connect:Amp.

And that’s it! Unless you already have another component attached to the C:Amp, in which case you’ll need some sort of switch as well.

Note that with this setup your records will always be digitized by Sonos before the audio hits the speakers. If you want to retain the option of a purely analog chain, and your Marantz is powerful enough to drive the B&Ws, another option would be to swap the Connect:Amp for a Connect (or the new Port) and use that to bring your vinyl to Sonos and Sonos to the Marantz/B&Ws.

Userlevel 7

Your setup shouldn’t require a preamp with the Marantz receiver.

Connect the turntable to the Phono inputs on the Marantz.

Connect the Connect:Amp from Analog Audio In to Tape Out on the Marantz.

Set the Selector on the Marantz to Phono.

After everything is connected, if the audio is too quiet, go to the Line-In settings of the Connect:Amp in the Sonos app and adjust the Source Level higher. You can also set the Audio Compression setting in the Sonos app to Uncompressed for the best audio quality.

Turntable > Preamp > Connect Amp Line-In > Connect Amp Speaker Out > B&M Speakers.

You would need stereo RCA cables for the first two connection.  You could then select the Line-In source to play in other rooms, or group with the Connect Amp to play in all rooms. 

Badge

Wow.  That was way too easy!  Thank you very, very much! 

One follow-up: Is there a way to sync the rooms a bit tighter?  There is definitely some lag between the B&W’s and the rest of the Sonos speakers within the house. 

But this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Thanks kindly,

Steven

One follow-up: Is there a way to sync the rooms a bit tighter?  There is definitely some lag between the B&W’s and the rest of the Sonos speakers within the house. 

Thanks kindly,

Steven

In order to sync them, you will need to eliminate the Marantz and connect the turntable to the Connect Amp line in via a phono preamp. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

There shouldn’t be any delay. The Connect:Amp is already connected to the B&Ws, correct? Are you strictly using that setup for streaming, or do you have a component connected to the Connect:Amp already?

The Marantz is currently entirely separate from the Sonos system, connected to its own set of speakers?

Badge

There shouldn’t be any delay. The Connect:Amp is already connected to the B&Ws, correct? Are you strictly using that setup for streaming, or do you have a component connected to the Connect:Amp already?

The Marantz is currently entirely separate from the Sonos system, connected to its own set of speakers?

Until I connected the Marantz to The Connect:Amp just now, we were only streaming via Apple, using the B&W’s + the other Sonos speakers throughout the house. 

The Marantz was indeed separate of the Sonos system, but we had the B&W speakers plugged into the Connect:Amp. A friend wired my entire system for us so I may not be explaining it well.  

Initially we were happy to be able to stream throughout the house using the B&W’s and the Sonos speakers and just played our vinyl while in the living room. Over the weekend we were reminded that the Connect:Amp would allow us to play records throughout the house, which is what lead me to asking this question.  

One thing I just noticed is when returning to streaming, the B&W’s wouldn’t play any sound. The other speakers were working fine. The Connect: Amp was flashing between orange and white. I unplugged the RCA cables from the Amp and eventually it returned to a solid white light and the B&W’s started playing again.  Do you need to plug this in only when you want to play vinyl?

Feel like I’m missing something, for sure.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

There’s an article here that details possible causes of the white/orange blinking lights:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2923?language=en_US

Based on that, maybe the speaker wires got jostled when you connected the Marantz?

You shouldn’t need to disconnect the receiver or turntable when everything is working properly.

Can’t explain the delay you’re experiencing. I have essentially the same setup — turntable into integrated amp into Sonos Amp — and my speakers are all synced up.

Can you put up here a photo of the rear panel of the Marantz, as presently wired? What speakers does it play through today?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thanks kindly,

Steven

Assuming there are no speakers connected to the Marantz speaker outputs, the B&W speakers should sync with your other Sonos speakers if they are connected to the Sonos Connect Amp and the tape output on the Marantz is connected to the line input on the Connect.