Answered

Connecting Turntable Audio to Sonos System

• 14 October 2018
  • 5 replies

Having trouble getting audio from turntable onto the other Sonos speakers via Connect. I currently have my turntable hooked up to a Marantz receiver with two bookshelf speakers. Sounds great. I also have an optical cord going OUT from Connect to the optical IN on the receiver. This allows me to hear my streaming music on my Sonos system through the bookshelf. How do I get my turntable audio on to the rest of my sonos speakers? As it stands, I have them connected into the Phono IN on the receiver, so to hear them, I must switch the input from the TV digital (which I use to hear the Sonos system via optical through the receiver and speakers) to Phono. I tried plugging the Turntable RCA directly into the COnnect IN with the hopes that the optical out would allow me to hear it through the system but no dice. Any suggestions?
icon

Best answer by John B 15 October 2018, 00:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Does the turntable have a phono pre-amp or is this currently handled by the receiver? If you are bypassing the pre amp that will be an issue. Also, have you selected line in as the source, under Browse, for whichever speaker or group of speakers you are listening to?
Thanks for response. Turntable has preamp integrated but i believe i can toggle it off and the receiver has a phono in. I have line in selected as the source in the room settings. I'll need to check the browse section. Do i need a separate preamp to make this work?
Hi. You don't select line in in the room settings - you select it under 'Browse', just as you select other sources such as Spotify or Music Library etc. Or do you mean you have set an Autoplay Room?

If turntable has a pre-amp and it is turned on, that should be fine into the Connect. So the set up should be (for illustration, I'll assume you want to hear the vinyl on the Connect + amp + speakers, and in 'Bedroom'):

In line in settings for the Connect, select the Connect room as the Autoplay room, and tick to include grouped rooms
Turntable RCA out connected to Connect line in
Connect room and Bedroom grouped in 'Rooms' screen
Connect optical out to amp optical in
On the amp, optical selected as the input source

Play some vinyl and see what happens.

You may also wish to set the Connect's outputs to be Fixed if it is currently Variable. But make sure the volume on the amp is low - at least to start with - as 'Fixed' is effectively 'Max'.

Hope that helps.
Much appreciated. Good news: i have music flowing to all speakers from vinyl. Bad news: i have to turn the volume very high on amp and other sonos speakers to hear out of any of them. And the quality is not great... not distorted but airy (from the volume increase) and not rich. I have fixed chosen as the line in volume setting. Any words of wisdom?
As an initial guess, I'd say that either your pre-amp isn't turned on, or your pre-amp isn't set to match the type of cartridge/needle in your turntable. Or, you need to adjust the line in sensitivity in the Sonos app.