Question

Connecting Sony STR-DH790 to Sonos Connect

• 24 November 2019
  • 4 replies

I have a new Sonos system all set up and want to connect my receiver so I can play CD’s. I was told to add the CONNECT to the sonos system which I have done

. I have connected the CD player to the receiver (going out to in) and now I am assuming, I need to go “out” from the receiver and in to the CONNECT. I dont see any outputs on the receiver to use to do this. Can you advise? 

Also, once this is sorted, how do I then see the CD player and where will I control it via the sonos system?

Thanks,

Cindy

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Thanks ratty- 

I got the CD player and IPod working. Thanks! I’m now finding that I hear a gurgling sound coming out of my back speakers, as if there is an interference. Have you heard of this before? And if so what might be a resolution?

I was thinking of taking them off the system and then re-adding them and perha

Thanks,

Cindy

Thanks for your help with this. I also want to connect an Ipod to my receiver as well as my CD player. Is that possible?

You’d need to put an input selector switch in front of the Connect’s Line-In, if you didn’t want to keep swapping the cables over.

Also, assuming, I can get all of this set up correctly, how/where do I see the receiver/CD/ipod on the sonos system? Where will it show up so I can access it? 

It would be selectable from the Browse menu, in the Line-In section.

Finally, when I set up the Connect, it didnt let me let it up to the same room where the rest of the Sonos was set up. Its now in another room called Family Room 2. I’m not sure if thats part of my problem or not. Will the Connect run through the Sonos speakers?

A Sonos ‘room’ denotes a player (or bonded set of players which appears as a single room) that can be controlled independently. It doesn’t necessarily correspond with a physical room. This means you’d need to set the Connect up as a new ‘room’, which you can in fact call whatever you like such as “Receiver” or even “Connect”.

Hi,

Thanks for your help with this. I also want to connect an Ipod to my receiver as well as my CD player. Is that possible? Also, assuming, I can get all of this set up correctly, how/where do I see the receiver/CD/ipod on the sonos system? Where will it show up so I can access it? 

Finally, when I set up the Connect, it didnt let me let it up to the same room where the rest of the Sonos was set up. Its now in another room called Family Room 2. I’m not sure if thats part of my problem or not. Will the Connect run through the Sonos speakers?

Thanks,

Cindy

It looks like there are no suitable audio outputs on that receiver, so what you’d need to do is:

• wire the CD player to the Connect’s Line-In jacks
  • wire the Connect Line-Out to the receiver’s CD input jacks (in place of the CD player)
  • configure the Connect for Line-In Autoplay, sending the signal to its own outputs, so it would automatically pass through the CD player’s signal

You’d then be able to play CDs through the Connect into the receiver. You’d also be able to send CD audio to other parts of the Sonos system.

What you can’t do is send any other audio from the receiver to Sonos, such as TV, since the receiver doesn’t have the necessary outputs. (There are ways to strip audio from an HDMI using an external box, but that would increase complexity.)

You’d obviously also be able to stream any internet content into the receiver from the Connect.