Connecting Sonos Port to Denon AVR x550bt

• 1 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi I’m really struggling to understand how to setup my new Port to my Denon AVR x550bt Receiver. Im not technical, but there are a number of RCA ports available for AUDIO IN but can't seem to get any volume out of the speakers when I turn it on to Media player or CBL. The surround sound speakers are being used by sky box/HDMI input

Any help would be appreciated? 

Cheers 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ryandavis 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

In theory, if you have the RCA output on the Port connected to the Media Player input on the Denon, that should work.

Checking the manual, it mentions setting the correct input type for each selectable input. Please make sure Media Player is set to the Analogue input mode (though I don’t know if there is an alternative for this input). 

Or maybe someone in the community has a similar receiver and can help you further.

Thanks Corry… Appreciate it. 

There must be something I’m missing, as I change the selection on the receiver to the correct output but no sound. The app says it’s playing but no sound is coming out. 

do you think i need to attach and connect both coaxial in/out leads from the port or should i buy a coaxial to optical converter? Would that work? 

Cheers 

Ryan 

This device appears to have no output, which you would normally connect to a line in on a Sonos. All I see on the back is inputs, other than the speaker connections, and a single HDMI output for a monitor. 

So if you’re playing anything on the Denon , it will not go to the Port. However, if you connect the Port’s analog out to either the CBL/SAT or Media Player input, and do what I assume is the appropriate programming on the Denon for that input, you should be able to play the Sonos output on the speakers connected to the Denon. I’d double check the Denon’s manual for how to appropriately set up those inputs. They should default to line level, but as Corry suggests, it’s possible that there’s an adjustment to be made. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have my port hooked up to my Onkyo Pre-Amp input and the sound is perfect. Check sound levels on the app? I had no volume till I did that; drove me nuts for a bit. I used the port since I am driving “classic” Bose 901’s. Fun and great sound; I greatly prefer my Sonos amp/KEF set up. Cheers and keep us posted!