Question

Connecting Sonos Port and AMP with Denon AVR to built-in speakers with volume control

• 10 September 2020
  • 9 replies

Just moved into a new home and have the following configuration / pre-existing setup.

• 5 in-ceiling speakers in main family room - to be used as surround sound for TV
  • 2 in-ceiling speakers in another 4 rooms (2 in each room)

I recently purchased a Denon AVR and Sonos Port and 2 Sonos Amps, based on recommendation of A/V representative.

I have the main family room speakers connected to the Denon AVR, along with HDMI cable to TV - this is working as expected.

I have the speakers from 1 of the other rooms connected to 1 of the Amps - sound is coming through these speakers. However, each set of room speakers has isolated volume controls on the wall - these volume controls are not working. Not sure how to configure the ability to use the wall volume for each set of speakers?

I have also connect the Port to the Receiver via the CD ports on the Receiver. I am assuming the Port will connect to the AMPs via wireless connection (?), as the Port and Amps are all connected to my home Wi-Fi. Do I need to have the Amps connected to the Port or Amps via any physical connection?

Thank you in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @nzasada, welcome to the Sonos Community!

We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

Appreciate the detailed information about your set up as well. 

Sonos Amp is only able to play one source of music at a time and since it’s only one Sonos product, the volume control will be applicable to all attached speakers. If you really want to control them individually or per set, you’d need to do it directly to the speakers themselves because Sonos does not have access to it and we can only control the Sonos products in the app. 

All Sonos products talk wirelessly and can be hardwired using an ethernet cable. If you have a strong internet connection and they are not too far away from the router, it’s okay to leave it in a wireless connection. You can also group Sonos products and play music at the same time. 

Let us know if this helps. We and the community are always here to help.

Thank you for the reply Krishma … not sure if I explained my situation in full.

Even if I connect my Sonos Amp to one set of speakers, the in-wall volume control for the speakers does not work. Can I not pass through the volume control from Sonos Amp/App to the speaker directly? I would expect there is a way to do this.

Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @nzasada, thanks for your response. Well, so long you connect the speakers to the Sonos Amp using banana plugs you should be able to control the volume using the Sonos app especially if you are playing from the Sonos app. If it’s not working, I’d suggest try and check the cables, the speakers connected to isolate the problem. Let us know if this helps. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi Krishma,

Still not sure we are on the same page. I do not want to control the volume via the Sonos Amp/App. I want to control the volume via the volume control on the wall connected to the speakers. This worked prior to hooking up the Sonos Amp to the speaker. Is this not allowed via Sonos? Am I required to control the volume via the Sonos Amp?

Thank you,

Nick

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi, @nzasada! How do you control the volume of the speakers prior to hooking up the Amp? Do you have a device connected in between the Amp and the speakers? 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi Krishma,

Prior to connecting the Sonos Amp, there was no Amp. The speakers (in the ceiling) were hooked up to a receiver, and I was able to control the volume via the volume control on the wall (connected to the speakers), and did not require controlling the volume via the receiver. I hope that makes sense.

Again, the volume control is installed in the wall (next to the light switches for example) and the speakers are installed in the ceiling. I would like to use each in-room volume control to control the volume of the speakers; however, after connecting the Sonos Amp, these volume controls no longer work.

Thank you,
Nick

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @nzasada, thanks for the confirmation. Just to let you know that if there’s a way to control your speakers connected to the Sonos Amp, you should be able to do it. Normally, the speakers connected are just dependent on the Sonos Amp because it powers it to work and all controls are being done in the Sonos app or Amp. I’m thinking if the volume controls are linked to your old receiver, you may need to double-check it to whom set it up for you. Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Thank you @Krishma M  … the volume controls are connected to the speakers, which are connected to the Sonos Amp, not the old receiver (which no longer exists). It appears there is no way to do this, and once connected to the Sonos Amp, all volume must be controlled via the Sonos App. I will just have to return the product, as it does not work for my needs.

Thank you,
Nick

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi, @nzasada! Thanks for getting back to us and if that’s the case you may try and check it with our phone support team, you can call 800-680-2345 from Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET. You can also check our website for any products that would work for your set up and our Sales team. Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.