Question

Connecting Sonos AMP to TV and multiple HDMI devices

• 12 May 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3

I am considering Sonos AMP with Monitor Audio speakers and turntable but I want to output TV sound to AMP via HDMI ARC. I also have PS4 and satellite box with HDMI connectors. However I only have one hidden HDMI cable to/from TV and I do not want to have additional exposed HDMI cables from the PS4, etc. I am trying to work out if an HDMI switch/splitter will solve the problem, and if so, what spec should I be looking for. Is it possible to connect HDMI ARC out from TV to switch/splitter input and then connect switch/splitter HDMI output to AMP HDMI, and also connect PS4 to switch/splitter HDMI input to get to the TV as in diagram below ? If possible, any downsides ? Or is there another way of achieving the same result that I am missing ? Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You’d need to be a bit careful about your HDMI switch, to ensure it passes HDMI ARC back from the TV and out to the Amp. The audio and video signal generated by all sources would go to the TV, which the would return the ARC signal to the Switch, which you would then connect to the Amp. But it should work, given the care I mentioned. 

Userlevel 3

Bruce

Thanks for the update. Sounds as if I was not barking up the wrong tree. I’ll have another look at specs for switches as there seem to be many which don’t support ARC as far as I can see. 

I’ve been looking too, and haven’t found squat for an eARC interpreter. Easier to find one that can send eARC back from the TV….which I don’t have.  Sent a request to my favorite accessory company, with the hopes that they’ll make something. But I’d imagine that they’d need to design and get someone in China to make such a device, too, not a 3 week project. 

I’ll likely live with what it is with my TV for the short term, and keep looking for an external eARC device in the long term. Sooner or later, it will be made. The only questions are when, and how much. :)

Userlevel 3

Bruce

Thanks for the update. Looking at devices like ones below, it looks as if getting the audio out is done via coaxial or optical, neither of which are supported by the AMP. Alternatively, I guess I could use the analog output from this to the AMP - but then I can’t connect my turntable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Switcher-Optical-Toslink-Extractor/dp/B07PPMR8Y2/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&qid=1589358475&sr=8-10&srs=5244867031

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Switcher-Optical-Toslink-Extractor/dp/B07YD2CLMY/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&qid=1589359537&sr=8-12&srs=5244867031

Martin