Question

Connecting PLAY:1 Speakers to Something OTHER than PLAYBAR for TV Audio?

• 3 October 2016
  • 3 replies

I have 5 PLAY:1 speakers that I got through my employers reward program. I love them, they work great for music (I have Apple Music and Tune-In Radio)! However, budget is tight and I would like to connect a couple of these PLAY:1 speakers to my HDTV or AppleTV 3rd or 4th Gen for better sound than just my TV's built-in audio. I am not necessarily looking for surround sound and I cannot afford the PLAYBAR.

I've read online of some lesser expensive solutions using a PLAY:5 or CONNECT due to them having LINE-IN ports. My question is, can you connect 2 PLAY:1 speakers to a PLAY:5 that goes directly to HDTV/AppleTV similar to the PLAYBAR's ability to do the same? Another thought was to use the CONNECT (not AMP since the PLAY:1's are powered) and connect it to the HDTV and connect the PLAY:1 speakers to the CONNECT via ethernet switch ports since the connect is wirelessly connected to SONOSnet.

Again, I am not looking for surround necessarily. I just finished my basement and have a projector and AppleTV connected which shines on a white wall...but video only, no audio. I have PLAY:1 speakers to put in that space, but cannot spend that kind of money on a PLAYBAR. Is there a means to getting a couple PLAY:1's connected to either a PLAY:5 or CONNECT with LINE-IN and/or pairing of some sort? My budget is $400 so I am certainly limited. Any help is greatly appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You can group a pair of PLAY:1s with a PLAY:5 or CONNECT, but they'll only reproduce stereo. For 5.1 you'd need a PLAYBAR.

Note that there is a delay through Line-In of ~70ms. For some this might disturb their viewing enjoyment owing to loss of lip-sync. That said, one gathers that the lack of lip-sync on some US broadcast channels is such that the Line-In delay can actually be constructive.
Thanks, Ratty! SO I was also reading that I can change the Line-In audio compression of the grouped speakers to uncompressed, provided my network can handle the throughput. I also see that I could connect my Play:1 speakers and CONNECT to my router/switch for a WIRED connection. Both solutions would decrease the delay, the wired solution might be the best overall.

So it seems my best choice of action to achieve a suitable audio experience with SONOS in my new "man-cave" would be to do the following (please correct me if I'm wrong):

1) Purchase SONOS CONNECT, connect it to my AppleTV 3rd Gen Optical Audio Out.

2) Connect one of the PLAY:1 speakers to my router switch, the other to 1 of the 2 switch ports on the CONNECT and the other switch port on CONNECT to router switch as well.

3) Open iOS App and connect/name my CONNECT unit to the network.

4) Still in App, create stereo pair with PLAY:1 speakers...then group the PLAY:1 stereo pair to the CONNECT.

5) Turn on projector & AppleTV, change AppleTV audio source from HDMI to Optical Out.

6) Open MLB app and start watching the Playoffs or Netflix, whatever!

Am I on the right track? Have I missed steps, mixed up steps?

Thanks again for the help!
SO I was also reading that I can change the Line-In audio compression of the grouped speakers to uncompressed, provided my network can handle the throughput.
The default setting is Automatic, i.e. the system determines whether to use compression based on network conditions. You do not want to engage compression. The extended delay would wreck all lip-sync.

I also see that I could connect my Play:1 speakers and CONNECT to my router/switch for a WIRED connection. Both solutions would decrease the delay, the wired solution might be the best overall.

Wired or wireless, it makes no difference. The delay is built into the Sonos system, as playout buffering at the receiving device. It's needed in order to maintain sync.

1) Purchase SONOS CONNECT, connect it to my AppleTV 3rd Gen Optical Audio Out.

The CONNECT's optical jack is an output. You'd have to convert the ATV's optical to analog.

4) Still in App, create stereo pair with PLAY:1 speakers...then group the PLAY:1 stereo pair to the CONNECT.

If the PLAY:1s are the only players reproducing the audio then you don't need to group them with the CONNECT. A Line-In from any device can be selected for play in any room(s).