Answered

Connecting laptop to Play 1 speakers... newby...

• 25 October 2016
  • 5 replies

I'm wondering if I can play Youtube (or any other source) sound over the speakers from my laptop... I am a brand new user and concerned that I am limited to just the Sonos-ready apps...
icon

Best answer by SBSurfer 25 October 2016, 16:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos Play/Playbar are not designed as computer speakers so without fiddly work-arounds you cannot "stream" what is on your PC - Be it Youtube, a DVD or bing-beep of an e-mail arriving.

I can't see how it could be done for a Play 1 but a Play 5 (or a Connect) has a line-in that could accept an audio source form the computer.

Sonos gives you access to ALL the music you own, thousands of radio stations and the best loved music services on the planet whereby you could stream millions of songs to your Sonos gear.

I wouldn't call it limited unless of course your field of vision were incredibly narrow.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Get yourself an Amazon Echo if you're looking for youtube video integration. It isn't as good sounding, but it'll perform the function you want.
Stuart-W - the fact that Sonos limits choices does indeed provide narrow vision. Hearing my granddaughter's first words via email is not narrow and it'd be awesome to hear over nice speakers. And who wants to be tethered to a line-in port?!? Are we to remain analog?
Obviously, Sonos is not for you. It is simply not intended to be a computer speaker You want a Bluetooth speaker.
Outside of line in, you need speakers with either Bluetooth or Airplay to allow this. Sonos does not think that those are technologies it can rely on for its other valuable features, so there things stand as of now.

There are many sub USD 100 bluetooth speakers that will do the job you are looking at. And if you get a splash proof portable with battery, it will also give you music on the move in a way that Sonos can't, so it may well be money well spent. I have a JBL Flip 3 that is perfect for these tasks.