Answered

Connecting Beam with pre-existing passive in-ceiling speakers for surrounds

• 8 February 2019
  • 3 replies

Recently jumped onto the Sonos bandwagon. Started with Beam for my TV/open Kitchen area. I have 2 pre-existing passive in-ceiling speakers (in that main room) that are run through an old amp in basement AV closet. I would like to connect and group the in-ceiling speakers with my beam (and planned Sub) for complete surround for TV and audio, basically in lieu of adding Ones to save on cost and overall decrease clutter.

Do I use the new sonos Amp? Connect? Will this work, will there be delay?

Thanks guys/gals
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 February 2019, 19:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The new Sonos Amp can do this wirelessly, or wired, and the older Connect:Amp will just do it wired only ... I would personally suggest you go for the newer Amp, but either Amp will cost you more than buying two Play:1’s (which will work perfectly with the Beam). I don’t see too much advantage at adding Sonos Ones to a Beam Home Theatre setup at this moment in time, as their Alexa component and AirPlay capability are unavailable on those speakers when used as HT surrounds.
Excellent. To be clear, if I added Play:1 with beam, I could still use Alexa functionality via the beam correct? Thanks
Excellent. To be clear, if I added Play:1 with beam, I could still use Alexa functionality via the beam correct? ThanksYes, when you 'bond' them together within the Beam Room Settings in the Sonos App, they join the Room and the Beam controls the surrounds. The Beam basically behaves as it does now, but with surround speakers playing the two rear channels, when available. You can use its Alexa component and also AirPlay to the entire Room too and that includes the surrounds. I find it best to set the surrounds to ‘Full' audio for music playback.