Connecting Amp to TV with outdoor speakers

• 18 November 2020
  • 1 reply

I was trying to instal a tv outside that is about 50’ from my Sonos amp. The Sonos amp is powering two sonance outdoor speakers. Was wondering what is the best way to get a “line in” into the amp to also play the audio from the TV. But I also want to be able to choose to either have the TV play audio from its own speakers or through the sonance speakers. Meaning I may want to listen to the radio through the outdoor sonance and simultaneously play the tv audio through the tv . Or just play the tv audio with no radio through the outdoor speakers. Would it be best to run a 50’ analog or connect the tv to the amp through a 50’ hdmi arc, or do you have any other suggestions 
Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Guermo23.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you wanted to listen to music separately on your Sonos Amp with your Sonos home theater speaker. Let me give some assistance on this.

Currently, once a Sonos Amp is added to a home theater speaker as surrounds, whatever the main Sonos home theater speaker is playing, the Sonos Amp would be part of the audio system. However, in your situation where you wanted to play music on the Sonos Amp while it is added as surrounds and at the same time watch TV, the only way for it to work is to have a separate surround audio for your Sonos home theater speaker like for example a Sonos One Sl, The set up where you can listen to music and at the same time watch TV is by going to the TV menu settings and then changing audio out from external speaker or audio system to TV speakers as this is a TV setting option and not within Sonos since if you listen to music while watching TV and the TV menu is not changed, there might be no audio coming out of the TV speakers since it is still set to external audio. What I can do is send this to our engineering team to take a look into regarding the surround sound of Sonos home theater speaker, if there is a way in the Sonos App to add a switch to remove and re-add any Sonos Speakers set up as surrounds to a Sonos home theater speaker so the audio of the TV would not be interrupted. I would suggest subscribing to this thread and to our announcement topic for any feature releases, feature updates, and bug fixes.

If you still have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic. We are always here to help.

Thanks,