Answered

Connecting a CD Player

• 5 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi

I’d like to connect a CD player to my Sonos ecosystem.  I have one Play 5, two Play 3, and two Play 1.  I already have a turntable plugged into the Play 5 as a line in.  I’ve seen other suggestions that I should rip all of my CDs as the solution, but I don’t want to do that.  I actually like the CD disc format and related cases with cover art.  Is there any way the Play 5 can share both the turntable and CD player with some sort of “line in splitter” or do I need something else for just the CD player - for example a Connect or something else?  I think I read Connect may be discontinued(?), but did it ever work for this purpose?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 January 2021, 17:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

This is great info.  Makes perfect sense to me now.  Thanks for your help everyone!

As @Airgetlam  suggested, you need a switch, not a splitter.  A switch gives you a choice of inputs to a single output.  A splitter takes a single source and shares it over more than one output - you don’t want that at al.

Just Google ‘RCA switch”.  Get one with a remote control at the very least.  You may be able to find one that autoswitches.

Userlevel 7

You could connect your CD player to a Sonos Port or Sonos Amp. If you want to save some money, you could get a used Sonos Connect on eBay. Be sure it is the Connect (Gen 2) so you can use it with the Sonos S2 app.

Someone else will have to address the “line in splitter” option.

You could go with a Port, which is what Sonos replaced the CONNECT with, or you could out a simple physical switch on the line in on the PLAY:5. I wouldn’t recommend a ‘line in splitter’ without a switch, though.