Question

Connect (ZP-90) - Optical not working (But works with RCA)

• 10 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello,  I recently purchased a Connect (ZP-90) and connected it to my Yamaha amp via the optical cable. (into the CD input on the amp),

I changed the CD input on the amp to optical via the amp’s setup menu.  Problem is, there is no sound.   The optical cable is fine and is transmitting the red optical signal.  I’ve used 2 other optical cables, with the same result.  

It works fine if I use the RCA leads but not the Optical.  I have checked and re-checked my settings on the amp and there is no reason why it shouldn’t work.   I have used other inputs on my amp but same result.    Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Try your current cable but use another optical source, if it plays your amp and cable are fine and it is a ZP issue.

I’d return the ZP-90 to the seller as defective, it well may be that they were selling it because the optical died and they were hoping you’d not notice.

You’ll save money buying used ZPs but you might consider getting a new Sonos Port instead.

Badge

Thanks for the info.  Bought it second hand so that may well be the issue.

It’s also worth double checking what kind of signal is being sent by the amp. If it is anything other than stereo, the CONNECT won’t be able to read the signal. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You’ll save money buying used ZPs but you might consider getting a new Sonos Port instead.

Which, of course, wouldn’t have an optical output at all.

@Mark321 : You could try the Connect’s co-ax digital output, if that’s an option. However, I’d definitely check another output device first, connected to the same input on the amp, with the same cable, just to confirm conclusively that it’s an issue with the Connect.

It’s also worth double checking what kind of signal is being sent by the amp. If it is anything other than stereo, the CONNECT won’t be able to read the signal. 

Not sure I understand this. The Connect isn’t receiving any input from the amp.

Oops, good point, sorry about that, was thinking backwards.