Answered

Connect won't let me set line-out to fixed

• 31 July 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I'm using a Connect, outputting over optical to my stereo system. When I try to set the line-out level to Fixed (from variable), I can select the "Fixed" option, but it won't change. It is stuck on variable. How can I make it go to Fixed?

I've submitted a diagnostic 312655413.
icon

Best answer by jnak 31 July 2019, 23:50

Well, I fixed it but it was very strange. I bought a new Play:5 from Amazon and set it up today. For some reason, i ran into a "not connected to internet" issue when trying to register it from my Android phone. Grabbed our iPad and was able to complete the registration process from there, and all was good. As part of this I moved the Connect from our bedroom to my office (Play:5 went in bedroom), but couldn't set the line-out to fixed.

Then I noticed that voice services in the Sonos app was unavailable and would give me the same "not connected to internet issue". I checked the Account in the Sonos app, and it was somebody else's email address! I assume it came from the Play:5, since it's the only thing that changed, but it was brand-new, in the box. I couldn't transfer ownership either. I deleted the app from my phone, reinstalled, re-signed in, and now everything is fixed. I was able to change the line-out on the Connect to fixed and can see the voice services again.

I'm bewildered as to how this happened, but it's fixed now.
View original

4 replies

That does seem odd. Have you tried a power cycle of the CONNECT?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That's in interesting one. I do see the errors in the diagnostic of the controller trying to issue the command, and it failing. But the failure is pretty generic, so I can't specifically pin it down. The first thing standing out on there that should probably be addressed is that there's a lot of wireless noise on the network, though it may not be causing this issue, it would be good to work on in any case.

If you can change your Sonos wireless channel to 1 under Settings > Advanced Settings, or go into the router's wireless channel and set it as far from the current Sonos channel, which is 11, that may help clear things up.

After that, you can try to change the line-out settings again. Also, it may be worth a test to wire the Connect into the network, then try to make the settings change.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Well, I fixed it but it was very strange. I bought a new Play:5 from Amazon and set it up today. For some reason, i ran into a "not connected to internet" issue when trying to register it from my Android phone. Grabbed our iPad and was able to complete the registration process from there, and all was good. As part of this I moved the Connect from our bedroom to my office (Play:5 went in bedroom), but couldn't set the line-out to fixed.

Then I noticed that voice services in the Sonos app was unavailable and would give me the same "not connected to internet issue". I checked the Account in the Sonos app, and it was somebody else's email address! I assume it came from the Play:5, since it's the only thing that changed, but it was brand-new, in the box. I couldn't transfer ownership either. I deleted the app from my phone, reinstalled, re-signed in, and now everything is fixed. I was able to change the line-out on the Connect to fixed and can see the voice services again.

I'm bewildered as to how this happened, but it's fixed now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
huhh... Well I'm glad it's fixed too.