Answered

Connect Turntable Volume Issues / Not answered elsewhere

• 6 June 2018
  • 6 replies

I’m having trouble getting solid volume from my turntable with my new Connect. I’ve searched extensively in the forums and basic info from Sonos articles but couldn’t find advice to resolve this issue. Here are the basics:

Turntable: Audio Technica LP 120 USB (has Pre-amp and is turned on)

Speakers: Sonos 3’s

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR616

Setup

Scenario 1: Originally had the turntable connected to audio in on Receiver/amp and a zone 2 line out back to the Connect Audio In. Noticed that the volume didn’t seem that high.

I read about variable and fixed room settings for the connect and tried using fixed but didn’t seem to impact my volume level (and still had what functioned like variable control in the Sonos App). I also noticed that whether or not I was set to fixed or variable, adjusting the volume on the Receiver had no impact on Sonos 3 volume levels. Volume only changes via the Sonos app volume controls and was never that loud. In fact, I turned the Receiver off completely and the Connect still received the signal from the Turntable connected to the Receiver.

Scenario 2: That got me to thinking - is the volume just coming from the Preamp on the turntable and the sonos 3 speaker amp? So I connected the Turntable via audio in ports on the Connect, and boom - same volume level as when connected to the Receiver.

Questions for Sonos Community members:
So either I’m misinformed and the Receiver/amp plays no role in volume amplification scenario in a turntable > Receiver > Connect setup, or something else is going on (and would really appreciate anyone’s advice). Is this true?

Is there some thing I can do to get the Receiver to amplify the volume pushed to Sonos Connect > Sonos 3?

If not, how else might I be able to increase turntable volume given it already has a buillt-in pre amp in place?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
icon

Best answer by John B 6 June 2018, 12:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

If it is the volume on the 3 you are concerned about then the fixed/variable on the Connect and the receiver volume are irrelevant. They would affect passive speakers attached to your receiver with a line out of the Connect into receiver. You need to go into the line in settings (room settings on the Connect) and adjust line in level. And turn up the volume on the 3.
If it is the volume on the 3 you are concerned about then the fixed/variable on the Connect and the receiver volume are irrelevant. They would affect passive speakers attached to your receiver with a line out of the Connect into receiver. You need to go into the line in settings (room settings on the Connect) and adjust line in level. And turn up the volume on the 3.

Thanks @John B! That made the difference - I was changing the fixed and variable setting and looking for some kind of "volume" control to be available from that screen. I looked at the Line In screen but wasn't understanding what Level meant. Because it was set to 2 [A/V Component] - I just thought that was what was needed since I was using a receiver.

One other question. Since the turntable has a pre-amp and I don't have any wired speakers (only Sonos) and no other devices I want to run through the Connect (everything else is Spotify), seems like I don't even need the Receiver at all. I can't seem to hear any audio benefit of the Turntable > Receiver > Connect > Sonos 3 setup vs. Turntable > Connect > Sonos 3.

Thanks!
You are correct. Best just to wire the turntable to the Connect. You aren't really using the Connect for its primary purpose - it's a rather expensive way to get a line in. I tend to think a Play:5 is a better bet. It's more money, but you get a great speaker.
That was kind of what I was thinking too 😞
Last question - if you do plug directly into a Play:5 would the turntable / line-in signal be able to be sent to the Sonos 3's elsewhere in the system?
Last question - if you do plug directly into a Play:5 would the turntable / line-in signal be able to be sent to the Sonos 3's elsewhere in the system?

The Line-in source can be played on any and all Sonos players on the system. In your example, you could even play the Line-in on the Play:3s, while playing another source on the Play:5.