Question

Connect + turntable

I've recently acquired an Audio Technica AT-LP120 turntable and am looking into connecting it to my Sonos system. I've scoured the forums and am pretty sure about the answer, but thought I'd double check with you guys.

The turntable has a built-in preamp, so am I right in assuming that I can wire it to a Connect and stream it to my Sonos speakers without the need for a separate amplifier? There won't be any speakers wired directly to the turntable (I've already got a Connect:Amp wired to some Cambridge Audio floorstanders in the living room, but the boss won't allow a turntable in there!).

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Yes, the Connect will do what you need it to, including to the Connect Amp.
Brilliant! Thanks a lot Kumar.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Second that, exactly the setup I have.
That's great to hear MrKeuth. Vinyl here I come!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
You'll love it! It's fantastic to be able to play vinyl, streamed to every room in the house. I've even got it in the bathroom now.
I REALLY regret selling my vinyl back in the 90s when I converted to CD. My daughter doesn't know what a CD is, so an LP will blow her away!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I am buying vinyl again. It's like I'm 16 again.
Just ordered a Connect MrKeuth, so I'll be joining you very soon!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Cool.

I've become a bit of a Sonos nerd. Last part of set up has been to get a Connect Amp so that I can attach speakers to it which are placed in the bathroom.

Music now being streamed to every room in the house!
The turntable and Connect are now wired up, and they sound fantastic together.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The turntable and Connect are now wired up, and they sound fantastic together.

Great to hear! See you around and thanks everyone for helping out.
Hi guys!
Glad to see MondoRicho had a solid answer. Wanted to ask something similar but not quite the same...
I own the same turntable as MondoRicho, 2 Play:1 and 1 Play:5. I plugged my turntable to the Play:5 and everything works, volume is a little bit lower if compared to a streaming service. Want to know if there is some advantages in plugging it to a connect or connect amp? Should I get one? :?
No, there's no difference between using the line-in on the play:5 or the line-in on a Connect/amp. You can increase the sensitivity of the line-in in the settings to bring it up to the same level as other sources.
No, there's no difference between using the line-in on the play:5 or the line-in on a Connect/amp. You can increase the sensitivity of the line-in in the settings to bring it up to the same level as other sources.

Wow! that was fast!
I will try to do that as soon as I get back home.
Thanks The LHC.
Hi! Wondering if I can pile on to this thread.

My vintage Denon turntable doesn't have a built-in preamp and I gave away my speakers after my sweet 100w/channel solid state amp finally cranked its last watt. Can the Connect Amp be used in this setup to stream vinyl to my Sonos speaker network?

Thanks for the help!
My vintage Denon turntable doesn't have a built-in preamp and I gave away my speakers after my sweet 100w/channel solid state amp finally cranked its last watt. Can the Connect Amp be used in this setup to stream vinyl to my Sonos speaker network?
Yes, but not without a phono preamp.

Many modern turntables have one built in, but clearly not a vintage model. You'd need to insert a standalone preamp between the turntable and the Sonos Line-In.

Note: A phono preamp doesn't just boost the cartridge signal, it also equalises the RIAA pre-emphasis inherent in a vinyl cut.
Thank you! Any recommendations for a good phono preamp?
Any recommendations for a good phono preamp?
Sorry, no. I left CDs behind about 10 years ago, and a Linn LP12 maybe 10 years before that.