Question

Connect to Port

• 24 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Although pretty shabby, this planned obsolescence would generally just be an excuse to upgrade to the newer model, but from what I can tell, the port doesn’t offer any additional benefits than my connect, and in fact features less functionality (no toslink?). Besides working with the five other (newer) Sonos speakers scattered around my house, why shouldn’t this announcement prompt me to upgrade all of my Sonos gear to Bluesound? 

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

What about the 12v trigger?  That’ll be a yuuuuuuge upgrade. :joy:

But seriously I’m a little optimistic that maybe we will see some upgrades that are like a decade overdue to some but would be worthwhile upgrade if you only have a few to buy IMO (65k limit gone, more tag options in local index, v1 SMB gone, and looking to the future more voice control options). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The missing TOS connection is solved with a coax to TOS converter, not too expensive but still a pain.

Star Trek: TOS. I suspect you mean TOSLink. 

Although pretty shabby, this planned obsolescence would generally just be an excuse to upgrade to the newer model, but from what I can tell, the port doesn’t offer any additional benefits than my connect, and in fact features less functionality (no toslink?). Besides working with the five other (newer) Sonos speakers scattered around my house, why shouldn’t this announcement prompt me to upgrade all of my Sonos gear to Bluesound? 

There are some that would even explain why Port is inferior to Connect.

And be sure that going to Bluesound isn't frying pan into the fire.

I would be very wary now of any integrated product that has smarts bundled into it. For a high price you are buying kit containing items of vastly different rates of obsolescence; bundling brings the entire box to have a rate equal to the part with the fastest rate.

Bottom line - don’t do anything in a hurry.

Userlevel 2

What can I connect to the 12V trigger output from PORT? 

I guess that it is DC, but what current can it supply? Does it have protection against short circuit?

Can it drive an inductive load (a relay for instance)?

Can Sonos release a technical spec for designers and system integrators?

Thanks..

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

The 12v trigger is to turn on a connected amp that supports the feature. Saves you having to seperately turn on and off your amp when needed