Question

CONNECT to In and Out on a home theatre amp

• 3 December 2016
  • 3 replies

I have searched the community for this question, and not found an answer. Forgive me if its a daft question.

I have a CONNECT connected to an input on my amplifier and would like to send the audio from the amps other sources to my Play-5. I get that I can connect the AV out on my amp to the inputs on my CONNECT, but that isn't my question.

What happens if I select the CONNECT as the audio source on the amp, and then select line-in on the CONNECT? In my mind, that creates a loop. Is this a safe configuration?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

In theory you could get a loop. It shouldn't damage the CONNECT, but the noise from speakers attached to the amp could be unpleasant.

As a rule, if an amp has an AV IN and an AV OUT (or TAPE IN/OUT) it prevents a signal from that specific IN being sent to its respective OUT.
Thanks for the reassurance, damaging either the CONNECT or the amp was on my mind, and clearly not something I want.

Looking at things, I have two options: feeding the CONNECT from the main pair on the 7.1 pre-amp outputs, or from the AV out left-right pair. The AV out wil be at a constant line level, so would be better than the pre-amp out which will be variable depending on the volume level.

I would like to think my amp is smart enough to detect a feedback loop from the AV out, but you never know and I couldn't bring myself to try it.
Looking at things, I have two options: feeding the CONNECT from the main pair on the 7.1 pre-amp outputs, or from the AV out left-right pair.
If by 'main pair' you mean the front L & R, those would be inappropriate outputs, since they'd only contain part of the overall audio information. What you'd want is a stereo downmix. Hopefully this is what the AV output provides.