Question

Connect sync issues

• 22 October 2017
  • 13 replies

New Connect out of sync with other SONOS speakers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

This is an Onkyo problem, and the Onkyo solution is to run it in stereo or direct mode via a switch on it, to eliminated the lag it adds in other modes.
Badge
Im having the same sync issues on an onkyo susyem. Among the discussions i dont see any technical assistance or a sokution from sonos. Has this been resolved by anyone in a format that i can follow?
Switch on the amp? Feature in sonos app?
Giles
I have same issue of delay on speakers connected through Yamaha AV Receiver. Causes a really annoying echo. The AV was connected to the Connect using the digital optical cable. However the problem goes away and good sync when using the line out RCA cable on the Connect - not ideal but it works.
I am afraid this won't help Giles whose problem is caused by a different issue on a different type of amp.
Giles
I have same issue of delay on speakers connected through Yamaha AV Receiver. Causes a really annoying echo. The AV was connected to the Connect using the digital optical cable. However the problem goes away and good sync when using the line out RCA cable on the Connect - not ideal but it works.
I really don't think now that this has anything to do with DSP. As I said, it looks like this amp is Bose's equivalent of a Sonos Connect:Amp, to be used in a Bose multiroom setup. This makes it, I am afraid, a really bizarre choice of amp when you have Sonos. In effect, the Sonos is using the 'line in' on the Bose amp, and the lag is probably deliberate buffering to ensure multiroom sync in a Bose system. But OP doesn't have a Bose system!.

The correct things to have done would have been either to get a Sonos Connect:Amp instead of the Connect and Bose Amp, or to buy a normal, conventional, non-wireless hifi amp to use with the Connect. Either of those would give perfect sync.
To clarify: a HiFi stereo amp will almost certainly not cause delays/ sync issues. A HiFi AV receiver being used in its normal mode of multi speaker sound will almost certainly cause these delays.

Stereo amps need zero signal processing for them to work, that AVRs do. So the Bose HT set up must be in that camp of AVRs that cause this issue. If the Bose has a Pure Direct or Source Direct toggle on it, that mode will eliminate the delays. Unfortunately doing that will also silence all the but the two front speakers.
The amp is a BOSE SA-5. I guess that you’d class it as a hifi amp. It’s a current model. I wouldn’t expect it to be laggy. I’ll try resetting everything and report back.Having had a look, that amp looks to be the rough equivalent of a Sonos Connect:Amp, so a slightly odd set up to be running a Connect into it?
Any updates on this? I've got a slight lag when using my Connect with other Sonos speakers, and I made sure there was no DSP turned-on my A/V receiver, but I have a Bose home theater setup (Acoustimass) and I'm wondering if it's doing some of it's own processing that could cause the lag.
The amp is a BOSE SA-5. I guess that you’d class it as a hifi amp. It’s a current model. I wouldn’t expect it to be laggy. I’ll try resetting everything and report back.
If there is no chance that the lag is caused by DSP in the amp (unlikely if it is a hifi amp, but you never know); then I would suggest power cycling everything including the router.
Is that a hifi amp or an AV receiver?
It's really simple. Connect is hard wired to network. Line out goes to BOSE amp and speakers. Also on the SONOS system via wifi are a Play:1 and a Play:3. I bought a connect in 2012. It packed up last week so I got a replacement. No sync issues with the old system at all. With new one it's terrible - like being an echo chamber!
I doubt it. The Connect is almost certainly in synch. Possibly processing in the amp. Or are you using the line in? What is your setup? Are you playing through an AV receiver?