Question

Connect Sonos Port to Sonos Amp

• 5 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello.  I”m looking for a solution and I’m hoping someone here can help me.  I currently have in wall and in ceiling speakers with the speaker wires going to a utility room.  In my living room I have a turntable.  I’d like to listen to records through the ceiling speakers.  If I buy the amp to power the speakers in the utility room and buy a port to connect to the record player, will the amp recognize the port as the outgoing signal and play through the speakers?  Sorry if this isn’t a clear ask.  Hoping someone can guide me.  Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @gadams8248,  welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your issue. Let me help you with this.

Our recommendation is to connect your turntable to the Sonos Port as line-in and wire your in-ceiling speakers. You can wire your in-wall speakers to the Sonos Amp.

In this setup, you can play music in separate rooms. Grouping of your speakers will allow you to listen to the same music with all your Sonos devices, whether playing it from your turntable or playing music from your music service in the Sonos app.

We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide their own opinion about this. 

Let me know if you have any questions about this. The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I’m confused by Rowena’s answer. Is the suggestion to connect the in-ceiling speakers to the Port? The Port doesn’t have any amplifiers and can’t drive passive speakers, but it sounds like the desire is for the Amp to drive both sets of speakers.  @gadams8248, your idea should work if the speakers connected to the Amp have 8 ohm impedance. You’ll also need an external preamp if your turntable doesn’t have one. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You use the port to connect to the turntable.

You use the Amp to connect the ceiling speakers. 

Select the Turntable as the source for the Port.

Group the Amp to the Port to play the turntable on the ceiling speakers.