Connect (S2 compatible version) 24bits output support ?

• 14 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

Sonos recently announced 24bit audio output for Amazon Music on some devices…

Does the Connect (The one compatible with S2) can output 24bit audio through optical ?

Any idea ?

Thanks, Denis

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I guess I will be corrected if I’m wrong here, but my understanding from all the media articles I have read online is…

That most of Sonos’ S2 range of speakers will support high-res Amazon Music streaming, including the Sonos Arc, One/SL, the Roam, the Move, Beam, Port and the Sonos Five/Play:5 (gen2). 

A number of S2-class speakers that won’t be able to stream Ultra HD tunes from Amazon Music are the Play:1, the Play:3, the Playbase, the Playbar and the Connect. (16-bit/44.1kHz playback only) 

The Arc and Beam (gen2) will also support Atmos audio.

Badge +2

Thanks Ken, I did not find any mention of the Connect in the various media articles, so my question ;)

Thanks Ken, I did not find any mention of the Connect in the various media articles, so my question ;)

Maybe the Staff here will view this thread and clarify the position for you, but I’m pretty sure the Connect April 2015–>(S2) playback is 16-bit and that its successor, the Sonos ‘Port’, is needed for 24-bit.

Sonos players have been (at least) 24-bit internally from the outset. The Connect is able to play local FLAC/ALAC 24-bit content, so maybe it was a commercial decision not to bother with 24-bit decode for Amazon on older devices.

Thanks @ratty.👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dgillier 

Thanks for your post!

Connect models made after the summer of 2017 will support 24 bit playback. Any S2 device not capable of 24 bit playback (see @Ken_Griffiths’ list above) will down-sample the stream and still play at 16 bit. Optical output will be 24 bit if the Connect is 24 bit capable.

Note that not all S2-compatible Connects were made after 2017.

I hope this helps.

Badge +2

@Corry P Thanks,

How to know the manufacturing date, here is what I have :

“Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXX

Sonos OS: S2

Version: 13.3 (build 65121040)

Hardware Version: 1.22.1.4-2.1

Series ID: D100

IP Address: 192.168.1.191

WM: 1”

On the product itself the serial number is prefixed by : “1804”, I can imagine it’s a YYMM code ???

BTW showing an HD or 24bits icon in the Sonos player view when playing HD content will be a welcome enhancement…

Mod Edit: removed serial number

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dgillier 

Your device was manufactured in April of 2018, so it does indeed seem to be a YYMM code.

BTW showing an HD or 24bits icon in the Sonos player view when playing HD content will be a welcome enhancement…

I think that has been suggested already - I have no idea if it’s going to be implemented, however. Personally, I don’t see why not.

Hi @dgillier 

Thanks for your post!

Connect models made after the summer of 2017 will support 24 bit playback. Any S2 device not capable of 24 bit playback (see @Ken_Griffiths’ list above) will down-sample the stream and still play at 16 bit. Optical output will be 24 bit if the Connect is 24 bit capable.

Note that not all S2-compatible Connects were made after 2017.

I hope this helps.

@Corry P    does this apply to all 24 but streaming/ playback on connects or just Amazon music ? Ie Qobuz and local files? 

if have a connect from 16/6