Answered

connect no longer needs the sonos bridge ??

• 23 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
i was reading you no longer need a sonos wireless bridge with the sonos equipment... so i guess i can remove my bridge now. i have crazy fast inter net speeds, about 115 Mbps.. i also have crazy fast gaming wireless router. basically we can stream, game and what not on several computers no problem.. we got way more power than i think we actually need so i dont think the bridge is doing any good if its not actually needed any more.

At the time i bought my connect you had to have the bridge to use the sonos connect with wireless ( no wired hook up on the room so i need it on wife). Now i am reading a update made so you don't need the bridge anymore..... one less link in the chain seems like tit would be the best option and i know my wifi network can handle it no problem..

is there any reason i should continue to use the old wireless bridge.... its the old one, not the new boost bridge
icon

Best answer by Stuart_W 23 November 2017, 15:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Firstly. Take the wired hook up off the wife or you'll soon have a black eye to worry about.

Now you're not in danger of being thumped. If you remove the Bridge then you would have to wire another Sonos unit into the router in order to create the SonosNet network OR you can connect directly to your Wi-Fi via the app and entering your password (do this before unplugging the Bridge). Personally I would leave well alone. If it's working with no issues then there is no benefit in changing things up. Networks being basically a radio broadcast is notoriously fickle so you may find removing the Bridge exposes your Sonos system to problems you don't have right now.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks.. i just connected it to the wifi network as you said.. it told me i could remove the bridge so i did.. ill see how it works, so far so good. the little bridge runs pretty warm and its one more thing using electricity.. i never liked using that bridge but it was required at the time.

as long as the sound quality does not change and the music does not start cutting in and out or anything like that i should be ok.. I only have a sonos connect hooked to my home stereo, i do not have any other sonos devices or speakers... i probably never will, these little wireless speakers don't sound that good to my ear so i don't need the sonos net network.

what kind of problems do you think it can expose me too ? i can always hook the bridge back up if needed.. now that its hooked to wifi i am not sure how i would do that
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
i see i cant choose the wireless channel i would like to use any more.. with the bridge i was able to do that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You don't have the option to change channel because Sonos isn't using it's own network which is does with the Bridge. IE it's as expected not to have that option.

I don't expect you to have any problems doing what you've done unless your Wi-Fi is spotty where you connect is.

To start using the Bridge again just plug it back into power and connect to the router. That's all you need to do.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
you know, it doesn't seem to sound as good without the bridge, i figured ill hook the bridge back up and see if it was just me or if there was actually a difference in sound quality.. i noticed a pretty big improvement in sound quality after i hooked the bridge up again, so i guess if you do not have a bridge you should probably get one..

i have a really nice stereo so its pretty easy to hear a difference in sound quality when you change something.. Before i got this set of speakers i never really though things like speaker wire made a much of diffidence in sound quality.. now going from basic speaker wire with lots of little copper strands to a nice set that is solid copper it makes a huge difference in sound quality.. on my old set of speakers, i can't really hear anything but very subtle differences when chaining things like that.. once you get a set of revealing speakers you find everything actually matters allot.

thanks for your help Stuart w.. i guess if you don't try different things you will never know what works best.