Question

Connect: Low Volume

• 14 October 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge
Hi all, I am new to this forum and just received and set up my SONOS Connect to replace 10-year-old Squeezebox SB3 . Pretty easy setup with my existing audio system and ethernet /wifi system within 15 minutes.

I have issue with low volume from Connect despite set the volume to maximum from SONOS apps/desktop, playing from both music library, Spotify and iphone music.

Volume dial was set at 40 of Krell KAV 400Xi integrated amplifier. With same volume setting, my previous SB3 can play a louder music.

Please note I am using Coaxial output (digital) to Cambridge Audio DacMagic then to Krell.

Nevertheless, the sound produced from Connect and my current audio setup is much warmer, crystal clear than previous SB3, just the volume at Integrated Amp need to set higher. Not a big issue, just curious why...

Please advise.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Why? Because the output from the Connect is a little lower than from the sb3, always has been.
With the CONNECT in Fixed Volume, its digital output should - in theory at least -- be unscaled. The waters have been muddied recently with the revelation that volume normalisation is applied when in Fixed Volume if such tags are present, which IMO is a travesty and should be fixed.

If the music contains normalisation tags -- which currently are undefeatable -- this could explain a slight level drop compared to the SB.
Badge
Appreciate your feedback.

Apart of that, I noticed the following: -

a) Sonos Desktop Controller limit the number of characters in Sonos Playlist , unlike Spotify, will it be improved?

b) I can't add my favorite radio station in Desktop Controller (only Sonos Favorite) unlike in SONOS iOS apps, will it be corrected?
No idea if/when a) will happen, but can't you add radio stations to My Radio Stations via the desktop controller? I don't know of anything that the Sonos iOS app can do that the desktop controller cannot, except True play tuning.
b) I can't add my favorite radio station in Desktop Controller (only Sonos Favorite) unlike in SONOS iOS apps, will it be corrected?
On the Desktop Controller you can add your own entries to My Radio Stations by specifying the URL. Any TuneIn station can also be added to My Radio Stations.
Badge

On the Desktop Controller you can add your own entries to My Radio Stations by specifying the URL. Any TuneIn station can also be added to My Radio Stations.

Ratty, my bad on my previous post which was unclear, i was referred to TuneIn Station, not able to add to My Radio Station via Desktop Controller (no such feature) shown when I click on the triangle icon, but no problem on SONOS iOS apps . Yeah, I noticed how to add manual radio station URL into My Radio Stations.

Besides that, i could not find few my favorite online radio stations such as Live365, AccuRadio which were in Logitech Media Server add-on apps. Anyone know how to add them ?
i was referred to TuneIn Station, not able to add to My Radio Station via Desktop Controller (no such feature)
http://www.sonos.com/support/productguide/en/mac-pc/index.html#t=Sonos_User_Guide_HTML5%2FChap05%2Fradio-Mac-PC.htm%23TOC_Adding_a_station_or_show
Badge
The guide says so but my desktop controller (MacOS) says otherwise. Let me try to check again later tonight and screen shot it.