Answered

Connect legacy vs Connect "modern"

• 23 January 2020
  • 11 replies

How can I double check that my particular Connect devices are in fact classified as "modern" and will still be supported?  (After all the furore, I was surprised to see on my Sonos account that they are listed as “modern”. Is this actually the case?) Is there anywhere on the Sonos site that states definitively which build / serial numbers make the cut (other than the vague “pre vs post 2015” - I can’t remember exactly when I bought my first Connect)?  Bit nail biting, this move towards obsolescence. Related question... Is this process of discontinuing support for legacy items likely to “creep” (will any devices still supported after May 2020 be subject to another later cut)?  Thanks...

icon

Best answer by jgatie 23 January 2020, 16:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

On the label, the 4 digits before the serial number are the year and month of manufacture, followed by a letter (Ex. YYMMC).  If the year is after 15, you are fine.  If it is 15, you need to contact Sonos.  If before 15, it is definitely legacy.  

As to future support, Sonos has stated they will support a device at least 5 years after they stop manufacturing the model.  Typically, the support lasts longer (the original ZP units lasted from 2005 to 2020). 

My number indicates the Connect date as Sept.  2015. My Devices page labels it “Modern.” Can I rest assured that it is considered modern rather than legacy?

My number indicates the Connect date as Sept.  2015. My Devices page labels it “Modern.” Can I rest assured that it is considered modern rather than legacy?

Yes.  The change was sometime in 2015.  Now we know it was before Sept.

It would be nice to have from Sonos a more precise 2015 line of division between the legacy and modern devices.

Badge

Isn’t this a P100 vs C100 issue?  I saw this pointed out somewhere, and my Connects seem to confirm this.  P100 is legacy and C100 is modern.

Where on the Connect is the designation P100 or C100? I can’t find it anywhere. 

Badge

Yeah, not on the label.  You need to look at My System in the app.

Yes.  The change was sometime in 2015.  Now we know it was before Sept.

I have a system from Aug 2015  it says C100, and the compatability software check says that it is compatable.

Where is the my devices page ? As i haven’t found anything labelled ‘Modern’

Important to note that ‘modern devices are not indicated as such on that page, but ‘legacy’ devices are. Sips, if it doesn’t show a read dot with the ‘upgrade available’ text, then the device is S2 compliant.  

Well I risked it as there was nothing indicating ‘legacy’ and it worked first time and perfectly. Played around with the controller for S2. The only thing I noticed which is intermittant and irrating is that the volume button on the side of the Apple phone doesn’t always change the volume of the speaker selected.

Also if you have Q(A) on speaker A, and Q(B) on speaker B, if you group A&B from speaker A ending up with Q(A) playing on both, then ungroup speaker A, sometimes speaker B doesn’t carry on playing Q(A) from where it was at, it stops then starts the whole Q(A) from the beginning.

I do the Q moving quite a lot as it saves me recreating a Queue , selecting each album/artist etc again.