Answered

Connect as streamer only

• 11 April 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 6 replies
Hi. Quick question: is it possible to use the Connect as a streamer only and bypass the DAC?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by ratty 11 April 2018, 14:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

https://www.sonos.com/shop/connect.html
"Features analogue, optical and coaxial digital audio outputs."
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The optical and coax digital outputs would bypass the DACs - direct to your amplification device.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks Chris...
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
one thing to be mindful of, is that this will almost certainly introduce a sync issue if you are pairing your connect with sonos speakers.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
That's unfortunate. I have two Devialet Phantoms in the living room and would use the Connect to incorporate them into my setup of Sonos speakers around the house... Hmm, are you sure?
You'll probably be fine. The CONNECT's outputs are synced with any grouped Sonos speakers.

Where users can come unstuck with the CONNECT is when they use it to feed an AV receiver which has digital soundfield processing and/or a digital volume control which introduces an additional delay. This can throw the sound out of sync with other players in the group.

I assume the Devialets have a digital input. Their integral DAC is unlikely to add much in the way of a perceptible delay. You can always check with Devialet but I'd be surprised if the internal delay was more than a handful of milliseconds at the most. To set this in context, sound takes about 1 ms to travel 1 foot.
@ratty definitely correct. In my own case I use digital coaxial out of the Connect to a DAC/pre-amp, feeding two power amps and wired speakers. Absolutely no sync issues with my various Play speakers.
A pure DAC would introduce zero perceptible delay. I was hedging my bets slightly with the Devialets since they're somewhat special beasts which possibly have some form of DSP EQ.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks guys...