Question

connect and nad 3020 are not connecting

• 7 December 2017
  • 9 replies

I have rca cable plugged into tape record on nad into audio in on connect and have a cd and turntable hanging off amp but am getting no music on sonos app-what can i have done wrong(apart from plugging jacks in wrong way around!)
thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Based on your description, you've got the plugs semi backwards. The cable connected to the CONNECT should be to the audio out, not audio in. Then they would go to the rec in on the NAD. Then you'd have another set of RCA cables from the Tape Out on the NAD to the analog in on the CONNECT.
Are you trying to get this to play back through the amp and speakers or Sonos speakers elsewhere in the system?
Tape REC to Connect inputs. Connect analog outputs to Tape IN. Choose switches on front panel of the amp to choose the source to play via the NAD wired speakers. Use the Sonos app to choose Connect fed zones for play.
thanks guys connected Connect analogue in to Nad Tape Record and Connect out to Tape Play but no luck
Playing phone through nad to wired speakers but no music on app or through sonos 5
What I cannot get my head round is which input should be selected on the amp with the wiring suggested. If you select CD you can't listen to the Connect. If you select to listen to the Connect, how do you specify that you want to listen to the CD? What am I missing?

As an experiment wire the CD player to Connect line in, Connect out to an input on amp such as Aux or CD, anything but Phono. Play the Connect 'room' with line in as source. Make sure the input the Connect is connected to is selected on the amp.
And if you are playing from phone, why aren't you just playing through the Connect? Playing from phone to The amp is unnecessary as far as I can see.
What I cannot get my head round is which input should be selected on the amp with the wiring suggested. If you select CD you can't listen to the Connect. If you select to listen to the Connect, how do you specify that you want to listen to the CD? What am I missing?

If you select CD on NAD, the wired speakers will play it, while the Connect will be fed the line level signals from the CDP via REC out on the NAD. And thence to anything connected to Connect via wires/wireless.
If Connect is the primary music source, it will also feed the wired speakers of the NAD if Tape is selected on the NAD.

This wiring scheme is useful if there are multiple sources like CDP, Receiver, TT, all that can then be connected to different sockets on the amp which can then switch in the one desired. Or, if the amp had a phono socket for TTs that don't have a built in pre amp. If there was just one source including a preamp equipped TT, this switching/facility is not needed; the source can be directly connected to the CDP.

The OP needs to be a little more specific on what kind of play the issue is arising.
In the Sonos app, go to Browse, and select Line-In as your source.
thanks chicks it was that simple!