Answered

Connect Amp with Kef Ci130QR ceiling speakers?

Badge
I’ve had a pair of Kef Ci130CR speakers running from a Connect Amp for a while now. They pair up brilliantly.

I’d just added a pair of Kef Ci130QR speakers to a second Connect Amp, and it’s problematic.

Randomly above 50% volume, and always above 80% the amp cuts out.

- The CR speakers are 8ohm with a recommended amp of 10-80W

- The QR ones are 6ohm with a recommended amp of 10-50W

I guess the issue is that the Connect Amp is cutting out as at higher volumes it does not have enough power to push the QR speakers. Is that accurate?

Any workarounds or do I need to source a new, higher output, amp (I do have a spare Connect lying around!).

Thanks.

Cheers,
Ferg
icon

Best answer by Kumar 1 July 2017, 10:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Randomly above 50% volume, and always above 80% the amp cuts out.

At 50-80% it should not cut out with these speakers. Is the Connect Amp kept in a well ventilated place? After how much time does it cut out?
After how much time above 80% does it cut out?

Why am I seeing 8 ohms for these on the KEF sites? If that is the case, all the more reason the amp should not cut out. And at a quoted 87dB, the sensitivity is reasonably high too.
And one easy troubleshooting step to try: switch the amps around and see what happens then.
Badge

Why am I seeing 8 ohms for these on the KEF sites? If that is the case, all the more reason the amp should not cut out. And at a quoted 87dB, the sensitivity is reasonably high too.
You are right. That is weird. I've got the printed manuals for both ranges of speakers. According to that the Ci130Q range (R & S stand for round and square) is 6 ohm and it's the Ci130C range that's 8 ohms. But I checked the website and it does indeed state that the Ci130Q is 8 ohm! What's going on :-)

Badge
And one easy troubleshooting step to try: switch the amps around and see what happens then. Good idea. I've tried and I see the same issue. It's not the Connect Amp at fault.
Maybe you can change the speakers to the model that works fine. Also, check the integrity of the wire connections at both ends.
Badge
Maybe you can change the speakers to the model that works fine. Also, check the integrity of the wire connections at both ends.

All good ideas. However, the speakers are installed ceiling ones and removing the working ones is a little difficult and needs a ladder :-)

I've emailed Kef support to ask about what the actual nominal impedance of these speakers really is.

I've checked all the speaker cable and it is OK.

BTW I never answered your questions about ventilation. The Connect amp is on an open shelf with plenty of air around.

I noticed yesterday that when the sound fails then the light is a blinking orange one. That's correct for this error, right?
Yes, and for more insights/tips see: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2934/kw/flashing%20orange%20light
There is a good idea there about testing one speaker at a time after disconnecting the other.
Badge
I checked everything and above 80% the speakers still cut out. Kef Support say that the nominal impedance is 8 ohms not 6. However, they also say that regardless of the impedance the speakers should be fine and it's a popular combination.

I had a garden party on Saturday and the speakers are still fairly loud. So I think I'll just live with it! Thanks for your help!
As long as adequate sound levels are obtained below 80%, all is good.