Answered

Connect:Amp outdoor speaker setup help

• 26 March 2020
  • 9 replies

I’m looking to connect 4 speakers to my Sonos Connect:Amp (i can do that, right?) for around my pool area.  I’m leaning toward OSD RX640.

Do i need an “impedance matching speaker control”, whatever that is?  I’ve read something that went way over my head (easy to do with this topic) and now I nervous/confused about ohms and the Connect:Amp.

Any explanation for the newbie would be appreciated...

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 26 March 2020, 23:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

thanks for the easily understood advice!!!

In terms of the science. Adding another speaker to a circuit is similar to adding another lamp to a circuit. The lamps and speakers are not aware of each other, but if enough lamps or speakers are added to the circuit, the circuit will become overloaded. Adding another lamp to a circuit does not significantly dim the other lamps.

Again, using the lamp-speaker analogy. If you attempt to use a single lamp to cover a large area, the lighting will be too bright near the lamp and too dim farther away. You could help the situation somewhat by mounting the bright lamp high above the area, but there will be more “spill” on to neighboring property.

With respect to the speakers, it’s a very large “room” outside and you’ll need much more power to fill the room at a given sound pressure level than in a small inside room. If you have ever been to an outdoor concert, you know that they used a high number of very large, very efficient speakers. Harder to see was that there was a truckload of amplifiers parked somewhere.

As melvimbe points out, most situations such as yours will be better covered by multiple speakers placed closer together. With this arrangement, coverage will be even, conversation will be possible everywhere, and the neighbors will be happier.

In regard to this comment: The only real issue you may find is that the speakers aren’t getting as loud as you’d like, which is a matter of the size of the space and personal preference.

Is this because of the 4 vs 2?  So would they be louder with 2 since the signal is only split between 2 rather than four speakers?

I wouldn’t say it’s quite that simple, and I’m not going to claim a know all the science of all that goes into how loud music sounds.  From what I’ve observed, yes, you’re getting less volume from your speakers when you connect 2 vs 4….but it does not appear to be cut in half as you might expect.  A lot of loud it sounds will depend on the speakers used and how efficient they are, where you are located related to the speakers, what environment you’re in for sound to bounce off walls, etc.  

I’ll put it this way, for a pool environment, 4 speakers is almost always going to be the better option than 2.  Part of that has to do with the outdoor environment and partly because there isn’t going to a specific area that people congregate.  You generally are going to want more speakers at lower volume to get better distribution in the overall space.  You don’t want it to be too loud in one spot, drowning out conversation, while it’s too quite on the other side of the pool.  So I definitely think you’ll be happy with 4 speakers over two back there.  

I am considering adding more speakers in my backyard, but mostly because I like projects like that and because I could get more even disbursement of sound, not because it’s not loud enough overall.

Thanks for all your relies!  Really helps…

Sorry but I made a mistake on the Sonos product… I actually have the Amp Sonos Amp

so it sounds like the 4 speakers with this amp shouldn’t’t be an issue.

In regard to this comment: The only real issue you may find is that the speakers aren’t getting as loud as you’d like, which is a matter of the size of the space and personal preference.

Is this because of the 4 vs 2?  So would they be louder with 2 since the signal is only split between 2 rather than four speakers?

Thank you both for your responses!

So it sounds like i don’t need the impedance switch.

Someone told me that using 2 pair of stereo speakers was not a good idea but I didn’t understand why.

Your thoughts on this?  And if not recommended, what do you recommend?

thanks!

The only real issue you may find is that the speakers aren’t getting as loud as you’d like, which is a matter of the size of the space and personal preference.  And if that’s case you can get a second connect:amp, or better yet, upgrade to a Sonos Amp.  I have 4 speakers in my backyard as well, and was happy running off a single Connect:amp, but switch to a Sonos Amp, which made it an even better setup.

If you wanted to individually control the Volume of each pair, then you would need a Volume control for each pair; otherwise, use the SONOS controller. For this particular speaker model you don’t need to fuss with any impedance matching kit when attaching two pairs to an AMP.

Your “Someone” did not have complete information about the proposed setup. Depending on the amplifier and speakers used, hooking two pairs of speakers might cause issues. There is a way to calculate this, but the math is contorted. For your purposes, AMP is more than capable of dealing with two pairs of your proposed speakers directly connected to AMP. If you wanted to add a third or fourth pair of speakers, then you would need some sort of “box” or controls between AMP and the speakers.

Thank you both for your responses!

So it sounds like i don’t need the impedance switch.

Someone told me that using 2 pair of stereo speakers was not a good idea but I didn’t understand why.

Your thoughts on this?  And if not recommended, what do you recommend?

thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

AjTrek is correct - you should be good.   If they weren’t 8ohms you would have to worry with an impedence matching switch - and as AjTrek mentions if you wanted an outside control knob.

Of course I would recommend something like an https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/accessories/remote-controls if you want volume control placed outside.

Userlevel 7

Hi @roofust 

According to the specs in the link they are 8 ohm speakers. You’re good to go.

Are you wanting to control volume outside of the Sonos app via a knob mounted on a wall? If so you might want to consider an impedance matching Volume control. I suggest you enlist the skills of a knowlegble friend or professional installer.