Connect amp intermittent sound

• 11 January 2018
  • 18 replies

Badge
Having an intermittent sound problem with my connect amp that I have had for possible 4 years. Never missed a beat. Always in the same position. Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Is it dropping off controller. Light blinking when dropping (IP Conflict)
or is it just dropping sound like a bad signal
Badge
I’m not sure. I haven’t looked at the app as it’s happened if that’s what you mean, normally comes back in after 20 or 30 seconds maybe.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How often is it going out - is it happening every few minutes?
Badge
Sorry to make this more difficult, I don’t have the music on it that room much so I can’t really say. It was about every few songs I think. I thought the amp was getting too hot maybe, so moved it’s location however it was still doing it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It could be an Ip address conflict with another device in your house. Do you know how to go into your router and give your sonos units new permanent ip addresses.

If you don't then I would try and turn off every network device in your house including phones. REboot router. Then turn back on in hopes of clearing the device that is trying to share the Sonos units IP address.
Badge
Thanks for the help. To note, one thing that I have done recently is to install a 20 way network switch direct from my router due to the amount of kit I seem to have that needs Internet. I have noticed my access point playing up a few times, I wonder if it’s something to do with the Network switch?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wouldn't think so. Do you have the Connect:Amp hard wired to your router or working via wireless. I wonder if your network is getting bogged down with traffic. Having it hard wired would help that (or a bridge connected to router thus getting sonos traffic off that congested router and to sonosnet).
Badge
Ok that’s good then. Connect amp is hard wired direct to the network switch. So you think that a separate bridge would help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No it wouldn’t.

Try wiring the amp direct to router.
Badge
So not via the network switch, direct into the router? That won’t help me when I get more connect amps or do you think I should just trial it to see if it helps?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you get more connect amps you won’t need to wire them. They can operate off sonosnet being transmitted from the first one.

For now yes let’s rule out the switch. And I would still go in router settings and assign new fixed IP address. Even if not issue it will help not have future problems.
Badge
Ok. I will give it a whirl direct in the router this weekend. Might have to have a few drinks after all!!! I’m not sure how to go about changing the IP addresses ???
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It would be in your router directions. Assigning static ip addresses. Have a great weekend!
Userlevel 1
Hi Chris, I have a Connect Amp and since some time I am experiencing the same problem. Sometime (not so often btw) it lose music. I think it is not a network connection issue since the Play1 (they play together) still continue to play. Do you have some more Sonos hardware you can play together with the AMP so you check that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Actually one speaker playing fine and the other dropping off and going haywire is the exact symptom of an IP address conflict.
Userlevel 1
hi Chris, thanks for the Answer. Just one doubt: my connection is:
- AMP connected via ethernet to the Modem
- Play:1 connected via wifi/sonosnet to the AMP

So the Play1 should be "downstream" to the AMP (if I understood correctly how does it work!). Is still applicable the "Ip address conflict" ? [sorry if the question is dumb: I am quite ignorant regarding ho does network operates]
FYI- I have logged exact same issue under “Connect Amp dropping out” thread. Keep tabs on that also. Yet to try direct Ethernet from Router to Amp.
Update - I connected ethernet from the router directly into the Amp. On a sample of 1 day it seems to have worked. I'll come back to this thread if I have any issues