Connect Amp - how weatherproof?

• 12 April 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
We live in Missouri and have a large backyard area. We just installed a big walkout deck with Raintight underdecking, which should keep that area pretty dry. I also have good wifi out there. It is completely shaded at all times, so there would be no direct sunlight. If I were to put the Connect Amp into a place where it cannot get wet, how worrisome is the extreme cold and hot temperatures? In the past, we've had our Amp in our basement, but this is a new house (to us) and getting the Amp inside is not going to be easy. Wondering if storing it under the deck is an option.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sonos specifies air temperature range from 32º to 104º F (0º to 40º C) while the amp is working. If within that, you should be ok, as long as the amp is allowed to radiate heat away by not being kept in a sealed box.

I have mine outside (dry of course) in Miami weather for some time now, without any issues.  I was not aware of the 104F limit, though it has not exceeded it, it has certainly flort with it with no issues. 

Specified Storage Temperature 4º to 158º F (-20º to 70º C). If operating temperature limits are exceeded, just don't use the amp unless the storage ones are exceeded before taking the amp in. In practice, I can't see anyone operating the amp outside the specified range of ambient temperatures.
Keep in mind too that you can disconnect the amp and bring it in side when the weather is nearing the temperature limits.
Sonos specifies air temperature range from 32º to 104º F (0º to 40º C) while the amp is working. If within that, you should be ok, as long as the amp is allowed to radiate heat away by not being kept in a sealed box.
Userlevel 7
Hi bfassler

Short answer...the Connect:Amp is not intended for permanent unprotected outdoor installation (even as you describe it). However, you might consider the solution in the link. I can't provide an opinion one way or the other.

https://www.altelix.com/Enclosures-for-SONOS-Connect-Amp-s/88063.htm

Cheers!