Connect Amp - how weatherproof?

• 12 April 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
We live in Missouri and have a large backyard area. We just installed a big walkout deck with Raintight underdecking, which should keep that area pretty dry. I also have good wifi out there. It is completely shaded at all times, so there would be no direct sunlight. If I were to put the Connect Amp into a place where it cannot get wet, how worrisome is the extreme cold and hot temperatures? In the past, we've had our Amp in our basement, but this is a new house (to us) and getting the Amp inside is not going to be easy. Wondering if storing it under the deck is an option.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi bfassler

Short answer...the Connect:Amp is not intended for permanent unprotected outdoor installation (even as you describe it). However, you might consider the solution in the link. I can't provide an opinion one way or the other.

https://www.altelix.com/Enclosures-for-SONOS-Connect-Amp-s/88063.htm

Cheers!
Sonos specifies air temperature range from 32º to 104º F (0º to 40º C) while the amp is working. If within that, you should be ok, as long as the amp is allowed to radiate heat away by not being kept in a sealed box.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Keep in mind too that you can disconnect the amp and bring it in side when the weather is nearing the temperature limits.
Specified Storage Temperature 4º to 158º F (-20º to 70º C). If operating temperature limits are exceeded, just don't use the amp unless the storage ones are exceeded before taking the amp in. In practice, I can't see anyone operating the amp outside the specified range of ambient temperatures.
Badge +1

Sonos specifies air temperature range from 32º to 104º F (0º to 40º C) while the amp is working. If within that, you should be ok, as long as the amp is allowed to radiate heat away by not being kept in a sealed box.

I have mine outside (dry of course) in Miami weather for some time now, without any issues.  I was not aware of the 104F limit, though it has not exceeded it, it has certainly flort with it with no issues.