CONNECT:AMP Housing disassembly

• 19 September 2016
  • 10 replies

Hello - The speaker terminal port of my connect:amp broke off this past weekend. I can replace it on my own (I have experience building amplifiers) but I do not know how to disassemble the connect:amp housing. I cannot locate any screws on the bottom of the unit. Can anyone provide a guide or set of instructions to open the amp housing, without damaging?

Thanks!
ABaur

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello, abaur. Welcome to the community. I am afraid that we cannot advise you on how to do this.
I would also like to make everyone aware that attempting to do this has direct implications for any warranty that could otherwise be claimed on the device.
As the owner of the unit I can make the decision around what to do with, and how to treat the product, while also fully understanding how it impacts the warranty agreement. You have to understand that this type of thing is going to happen regardless. You should want your customer base to be informed and feel confident about the manufacturing of your units. Keep in mind that your market goes beyond the casual amplifier consumer and may include a consumer who will use your amp in a way that Sonos may not have originally intended. Additionally, you can provide us with the type of information requested while still failing to condone this type of application. The type of info I'm seeking is not overly complicated....I simply want to understand how the two halves of the amplifier housing are joined.

I don't expect you to respond, but it's my opinion that a company should be responsive to customer inqueries, and open minded about how its products are applied. Transparency and responsiveness to customer needs go a loooooooooong way. But go ahead and keep to your scripted answers.

abaur
Yeah, like a company is going to open themselves up to the liabilities of saying "We don't condone this, but here's how to take mains power, remove all the consumer shielding and protection, and shove a screwdriver into the mix!"

Are you serious? Do the words "lawsuit waiting to happen" mean anything to you? Of course they aren't going to answer you, their lawyers would hang them from a yardarm.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
older model but maybe this will help

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0duavcuf1zyuc8u/sonos+dismantle.pdf
I don't think Sonos products are designed such that after sales service can be rendered by any other than Sonos. Which isn't to say it can't be done of course, just that Sonos isn't going to support that activity. In the field of consumer durables of that price point, I think they have lots of company.
Have the same issue. The speaker connector broke. Now sure how or why. Need to replace it and wondering is anyone has figured out how to dismantle connect amp. Mine is out of warranty so I don't care about voiding it. This is a fairly easy fix to change the connector only if one can open the amp. Safely of course.
Figured it out. Was quite easy. Just need to be patient and think thru the design. Will post pictures and directions later. The speaker connector quality is really bad and cheap. Rest of the design and quality is top notch. Hope they take notice and come up with a better design / connectors.
for others running into the same issue, to disassemble the connect AMP,
1. open the bottom, remove the grey leg rubber pads. Its stuck using sticky tape. use a very thin flat screw driver or guitar pick
2. Remove the leg screws.
3. Remove screws for the three antennae and remove wires from the clips very carefully
4. Remove the metal bottom cover screws
5. to gain access to the terminals and further disassemble the amp requires remove of top cover
6. The top cover is clipped with 2 clips on each side. Get flash light to view the clips.
7. then get a 1" wide metal ruler / scale and slide it on the side to release the white top cover clips.
8. Now you can easily change the terminals and/or further disassemble the amp.

Good luck on finding the terminals. I could not so I decided to solder the broken post piece together. I use a brass tube sleeve on top. stronger and better than original
my 89 year old cat has kidney disease and peed on the warmest spot she could find: the top of a sonos connect running on 3 years. It fried it, power out. Well it just so happens I had an old 18 year old sonos connect amp that had lost a channel and promised I would take a look at it some day. Using the website provided above, with really awesome fotos, took it apart and located the fried board and swapped them out....voila! thanks dudes for the site, keep up the good work and ah...would not worry about voiding the warranty on a decades plus connect amp.
Userlevel 1
Decided to try to fix my old broken connect amp today and in searching found this video, just posted a couple of days ago, with a complete teardown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kppWehxMek