Answered

Connect:Amp gen1 or gen2

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi i have a connect amp is it gen1 or gen2?

icon

Best answer by John B 8 April 2020, 10:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Depends on when you purchased it.   If you login your account at www.sonos.com and go to your account and then click on system.  You will see a full listing of all the sonos equipment you have and it will tell you it is either “Modern Product” or say “End of Product Updates” beside it to tell you if legacy or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Here you can see mine - which is obviously a Gen:1 legacy product and not modern version

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi guys

I perchased mine used and i can see the serial nr. the first 

four numbers are 1311 so i think its from November 2013

this i now think is gen1? so maybe a trade up i think to a Amp

Yes, that would mean it's a gen 1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I actually upgraded mine to a Sonos Amp last year ….. I’m not kidding the new Sonos Amp is a major upgrade!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am right in saying that the Gen 1 Connect and Amp have a pause button on the fron and the Gen2 have a Pause/Play button?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m not sure that happened at the exact same time

Buttons changed 2013.  gen1 to gen2 Connect and Connect Amp was in 2015.  So mute means gen 1, play/pause could be either.

I have a brand new boxed Connect Amp - the numbers prior to serial number are 1411 so I presume this means November 2014.  It has a Mute button rather than play/pause - can I presume this is a Gen1?  Does anyone have a definitive answer?!

I have a brand new boxed Connect Amp - the numbers prior to serial number are 1411 so I presume this means November 2014.  It has a Mute button rather than play/pause - can I presume this is a Gen1?  Does anyone have a definitive answer?!

Yes, Gen 1.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Did Sonos stop showing the status like mentioned above?  I’m logged in to my Sonos account, in the System tab, and I see nothing showing about whether it is Modern or outdated.  Thanks.

Not for me. I can still log on to https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/system/households/devices/ and see that Sonos thinks I still have two devices that I’ve recycled as “legacy” products, and the rest of my devices show as just their name, no S1/S2, or Legacy/Modern identifiers. It may be possible all of your devices are modern, in which you’d just see their name, registration date, and serial number. If they’re not labeled Sonos S1 Required, then you’re good to go.  

Userlevel 1

Sonos could be a lot clearer about this.  All it would take would be a simple FAQ explaining how to check the date code (or some other attribute) for each item to identify the generation.  Apparently the devices tab now only indicates if a device is incompatible with S2.  If it doesn’t say anything, then presumably it is compatible.

Hi. I am looking at buying a Connect Amp from a third party.  It is still in a box and not connected to a system so they can’t check.  Serial Number starts with 1703. Would this be Gen2 or Gen2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Go get my app “Phonos Plus” from the app store, it will scan your network and tell you exactly what is on there and which Gen they are. Even works for recycled devices (though they must be wired).

Hi. I am looking at buying a Connect Amp from a third party.  It is still in a box and not connected to a system so they can’t check.  Serial Number starts with 1703. Would this be Gen2 or Gen2.

Gen 2. 

Here you can see mine - which is obviously a Gen:1 legacy product and not modern version

I have this model also. DO I replace it with a newer AMP at £419? Is that the one?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@MrBlister3. Yes, if you want to buy the current Sonos replacement product you need the new Amp at £419 after your trade up discount.

I don’t know about Connect:Amp, but on the old Connect (non Amp version), the versions with a serial number starting 1502 onwards are supposed to be Gen2 and S2 compatible. I bought a 1606 dated Connect to be on the safe side. If you don’t want to buy a brand new Amp replacement, then a late model Connect:Amp would work, if we could establish from what date code the Gen2 Connect:Amp became available.  

My system page neither lists my Connect:Amp as “Modern Product” nor “End of Product Updates”, how can I determine if my Connect:Amp is GEN 1 or GEN 2?  How can I determine if my system is compatible with the new Sonos S2 controller app?

If there is no ‘trade up eligible’ indicator next to it, that means it is gen 2 and consequently S2 capable. 

I have a Play:1 and a Connect. I went on a chat with a Sonos rep, gave my serial number for the Connect to check S2 compatibility, and was told it is S2 compatible. My understanding is that the Play:1 also is.  But when I tried using S2 (on my Mac) I got a message that my “system includes products that aren’t compatible with S2.” The serial number of my connect starts with  B8E9379B…

Any suggestions?

Yes. Use the mobile app for this. The Mac app seems prone to 'false incompatibles'.

Thanks, John.  

Are you saying I should only use the mobile app, and not try and use S2 on my Mac at all?

No, I think the intent is to do the upgrade using the mobile app. Once you’ve completed the upgrade process, you should be able to connect without issue using the S2 app on your Mac. 

I use the S2 app on my Mac, but never tried the update process with it, I used my iPhone to update my system.  

Thanks, Bruce. That worked (upgrading using the app on my iPhone, then using S2 on the Mac itself).