Answered

Connect:Amp gen 1 vs gen 2 - what differences

• 18 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Can someone please direct me to where I can find what the differences (spec / performance) are between the Gen 1 & 2 versions of the connect amp? I am looking to buy a couple of amps for some ceiling speakers (kitchen and dining room) - I’m hoping that connect amps will be sufficient. I’ve looked on line but can’t find what actually changed in the Gen 2. Thanks in advance. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 February 2021, 03:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

As far as I can tell, there is no major difference in specs or performance. The only difference I could find was basic computing internals were upgraded for the Gen 2, and the mute button on the front was changed to a Play/Pause button. Because of the internals upgrade, the most important difference is the Gen 1 is only compatible with the Sonos S1 app and the Gen 2 is compatible with both the S1 and S2 app.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

In terms of power output and connectivity, I don’t ~think~ there was any change, but it’s a confusing picture, because the Gen 1 product was originally known as the ZP120 (specs of which can easily be found online) and this became the Connect:amp (specs of which can easily be found online). The problem is that change did not exactly correspond to Gen 1 & 2 - so it’s quite easy to find Connect:amps that are labelled as such but are still only S1!

Having said that, for ceiling speakers I don’t think that realistically you will need more than 55W/channel (8 ohms), which is what both generations are rated at.

Hi GuitarSuperstar and Antifon

Thanks for your quick response. A big help. I was surprised how difficulty it was to find an overview of the differences between the models / versions.