Question

Connect AMP for surround but sub is now gone...

• 29 December 2013
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 2
I have a connect amp and a playbar. I had a powered sub plugged into the amp and everything was great. I decided to add 2 bookshelf speakers to the amp as well for surround. I hooked it all up and did the surround setup in my browser. Now I only show one Sonos component and have no more signal going to the sub. The surround is working though. 

I'm about ready to toss this whole system and got back to a wired setup. The sound is great but it's been a pain in the ass. If anybody can tell me how to my sub back I'd sure appreciate it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Todd,

When you're using the CONNECT:AMP as a surround, as described here, for the PLAYBAR the sub output is disabled. The PLAYBAR can't control a sub output on a CONNECT:AMP functioning as a rear for the proper crossover.

Cheers.
Userlevel 2
Ryan - thanks for confirming. I understand that now. Just wish I'd known before I bought the amp. Now I'm expected to buy a Sonos amp for another $700? Not possible. Any chance there's going to software update to fix this? Should I even wait?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Todd,

That request isn't currently marked as planned. We do offer a 45 day money back guarantee for products purchased through us too, so if you'd like to see how the system would sound with the SUB you could try it out.

Cheers.
Userlevel 2
Ryan,
Thanks for you prompt input and help. I'll have to make other plans. I love Sonos gear for sure and it's definitely worth the money but a sub is simply not in the budget.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Is this planned as of yet. I will be returning my playbar if I can't get an answer as to whether this is a coming feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Is this planned as of yet. I will be returning my playbar if I can't get an answer as to whether this is a coming feature.
Hi Paul,

No public news on this one as of right now. We do have an Idea thread open requesting a change to the subwoofer output on the CONNECT:AMP when bonded. Add your to this thread and hear what the community has to say on the subject too. We'll be updating that Idea thread if there's any change in the status for this request so make sure you're following it. 

Thanks
Badge
Ryan, I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that with a PlayBar and Connect:Amp for surrounds, one cannot use a Sonos Sub to complete a 5.1 surround-sound system???
Hi Rob. I'm sure Ryan will confirm, but no, I'm pretty sure Ryan isn't saying that. You can use a Sonos Sub, but you cannot use a third-party subwoofer from the sub output on the Connect:Amp, when using the Connect:Amp for rear surrounds with the Playbar, That is the original context of this thread. John, Canford Cliffs Audio
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
John's correct. You can use the Sonos SUB with the PLAYBAR and CONNECT:AMP setup as rear surround. The CONNECT:AMP has a 2-volt subwoofer output which can be used with a third-party subwoofer during normal operation. That output is disabled when the CONNECT:AMP is being used as surround rear speakers for your PLAYBAR. 

Please let us know if you still have any questions.
What about the new sonos Amp? It is currently doing the same thing. Before i purchased this playbar and Amp, i was told by your sales people that it had a sub output along with left and right. It plays through the bookshelf rear speakers but no output from tje sub. This is very important for a theatre experience. It must work and there are an aweful lot of people who could use this. I would hate to return it.
I guess you should notify us that just because the Amp has a sub and left/right speakers, you can't use both. I have set it up as another "room" and now it works, just not in surround mode. But I love how you can sync all of the rooms for a whole house music experience. This also allows me to play the rear speakers and turn down the volume of the playbar as to not blast out the whole house at night.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Howie, looks like you found your answer already. When bonded as a surround speaker, the subwoofer output on the new Amp is disabled as well. This is because the unit is only getting sent the audio for the rear left and right channels, not for the subwoofer or .1 channel.

You can have it as a separate room and group it, as you mentioned in your post already, but it's not the same sort of experience.

It may not be a good option for you since you have the Playbar already, but if you were using a second Amp, one could be your main home theater device, receiving the audio over HDMI from the TV. That one would be handling the front right and front left, along with having the active subwoofer output. In that configuration, the front stereo speakers would be creating a simulated center channel, since you wouldn't have a dedicated center speaker.
I am in exactly the same place, I have bought a beam which is excellent, I want to add rear speakers and a powered sub (I have both from my old setup) but if I buy a connect amp either old model or new for my surround neither will support my subwoofer. Could this possibly be fixed with a future firmware update.