Answered

Connect Amp Error

• 1 July 2018
  • 4 replies

My connect amp is flashing alternately yellow and white and the speakers are not working. My other amp is working fine in a different room with different speakers. I have turned it off and reconnected it to the system but fault remains the same Any help please ?
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 1 July 2018, 18:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
See here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226#Alternating_Orange_and_White

I'd swap the two connects and see if the problem moves or stays, if it moves it is a Connect Amp problem, if it stays it is either a wiring or speaker issue. If you have a multi-meter disconnect the wires from the Connect Amp and check that they show something above 4 Ohms of resistance. Below 4 Ohms means the speakers are too low in resistance to work well with Sonos, near zero Ohms is likely shorted speaker wires, either fuzzy ends touching or possibly an insulation cut from running the wires.
Thanks Stanley. Connected the speakers to separate amp with hifi and they work so it's the connect amp issue it seems.
Not necessarily. As Stanley stated, it could be a wiring issue where one of the connects was loose or something of that nature. I would try to connect the speaker wires to the amp again and see if the issue resolves.

Without getting into too much detail, the wiring around my connect:amp is rather delicate, and slight movement can cause a wire to get loose or cross with anther wire. So I see the flashing lights often, along with the volume being automatically minimized. After fixing the wiring, and pressing the play/pause button a few times to reset, it works every time.
A flashing yellow (or orange) and white means the player is in a fault state. This either means it is overheating or there is a short. In the case of the Connect:Amp, melvimbe is correct, unless the unit has inadequate space around it for cooling, it is most often due to a wiring short. Redo your speaker wiring on the Connect:Amp, being sure no frayed strands are sticking out. This should remove the fault state.