Question

Connect:AMP Dolby

• 22 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Can anybody tell me whether the same stupid (in my opinion) lack of dolby digital plus support applies to the connect:amp like it does to the playbar, playbase and beam?

Sonos doesn’t list anything about this in the amp manual, online specs or even in the support articles (references the above 3 devices only).

Thanks.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Can anybody tell me whether the same stupid (in my opinion) lack of dolby digital plus support applies to the connect:amp like it does to the playbar, playbase and beam?

Sonos doesn’t list anything about this in the amp manual, online specs or even in the support articles (references the above 3 devices only).

Thanks.

The Sonos Amp does not support Dolby Digital Plus.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I really want to use the Sonos stuff as it works for all my music needs and i want one solution for all but why should I have to buy switches and apple tv/ps4/xbox one to transcode audio to an old audio standard (yes my tv doesn’t do this for me) when in my view the very latest products in the Sonos line up should support the most common format being used (looking at streaming/content providers).  It’s as if they designed the latest product set 15 years ago.

I know i’m peeing into the wind saying this stuff but I cannot begin to understand who in Sonos thought it would be good idea and why.  It’s as if all the designers of the products actually don’t use them and have little appreciation for the issues their archaic implementation causes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The AppleTV and the Xbox don’t matter as they can emit DD 5.1 just fine. Its the PS4 that is causing your DD+ problem.

How do you propose even getting a DD+ signal into a Connect:AMP? It has no optical input.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The AppleTV and the Xbox don’t matter as they can emit DD 5.1 just fine. Its the PS4 that is causing your DD+ problem.

How do you propose even getting a DD+ signal into a Connect:AMP? It has no optical input.

My point is I don’t have an apple TV or games console to perform audio transcoding with and seeing as the latest line of products were released within the last couple of years or so they should at least support an audio decoding option that the industry has been moving to for quite some time.  So yes I could fix my problem by throwing money at buying additional devices but why should I?

Correct me if I am wrong, but getting a DD+ signal to a Sonos Amp would be via the HDMI connection (if the device actually supporting decoding DD+), just like most other vendors do.  Additionally, DD+ doesn’t work over optical unless at very low bit rates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The Connect:AMP has no HDMI connection, or optical input, it is a stereo-only device. You may be confusing it with the Amp. (Sonos naming conventions are often confusing, see also 1 and One).

Userlevel 1
Badge

The Connect:AMP has no HDMI connection, or optical input, it is a stereo-only device. You may be confusing it with the Amp. (Sonos naming conventions are often confusing, see also 1 and One).

You are 100% correct, I was meaning the AMP lol.  I don’t think I can edit the original post to fix my blunder.  Thankfully the first responder recognised what i was asking.