Answered

Connect:Amp Direct Line Input Delay to Wired Speakers

• 2 October 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello Sonos,
For the past few years I've used the line input on a Connect:Amp to power a left and right wired speaker with no issues. Recently, I started to notice a clear and obvious major delay from the line input source to the wired speakers. I do not have any other Sonos speakers connected wirelessly.

I originally thought this was from my computer or a USB preamp I have for conference calls, but if I test the actual wired input (1/8" male jack from my computer headphone out to RCA left/right male in to the Connect:Amp) simply by touching the input to hear a buzz...there is now a 5 second delay to the wired speakers. This was not the case for 5+ years and just started happening about 3 weeks ago.

I should note that streaming music from Apple Music or Spotify has no delay...I can press start and stop and the music stops immediately and pairs with other Sonos Play:1 and 3's I have. Only when I use the line input directly to the wired speakers is there an issue.

Is there a new firmware patch that could have caused this issue?

I recently purchased a brand new Connect:Amp to see if it was a hardware problem with the one I have that is 5 years old...same exact issue right out of the box.

Thank you so much for any suggestions you have.
icon

Best answer by ratty 2 October 2019, 16:28

Change the Line-In compression setting to Uncompressed. It sounds like it's on Automatic and, for some reason, has decided to apply compression.

Settings -> System -> Audio Compression
View original

5 replies

Change the Line-In compression setting to Uncompressed. It sounds like it's on Automatic and, for some reason, has decided to apply compression.

This may not apply, but one other additional thought, just to add to what @ratty has mentioned above, is perhaps to also ensure that ‘AirPlay Device’ has not been selected as the Line-In ‘Source Name‘ as that also will increase the Line in audio buffer and delay the output.

Such selected ‘source names’ chosen, can be custom named also, so it may pay just to check that aspect.
'AiirPlay Device' would be consistent with a 0.5s delay, rather than 5s.
That’s why I mentioned it was just to ‘add’ to your suggestion @ratty.

Thank you Ratty and Ken for both of your support. 

100% fixed now after changing the compression to “Uncompressed”.  Woo hoo! 

I’m so pumped it’s back to normal now! 

------

Change the Line-In compression setting to Uncompressed. It sounds like it's on Automatic and, for some reason, has decided to apply compression.