Connect:AMP dead after 3 years?

• 15 November 2021
  • 19 replies

Found out that my Connect:AMP is dead after 3 years.  Was told by support that “It happens” when something is “always on”.  I can’t help but wonder what will die next.  I’m looking for alternatives to the Connect:AMP from another vendor that stands behind their products better than Sonos.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

It’s sometimes may pay to take-out small appliance insurance cover for such things, although in all honesty I tend to take the chance too that things will ‘far’ out-live their warranty period - However, did you not consider the Sonos trade-up offer and get a discount voucher off a new Amp.. I think that would have been my chosen option and then maybe protect it for longer with the small-appliance cover from the money saved… someone may buy your C:A for spares/repair too, perhaps?

Found out that my Connect:AMP is dead after 3 years.  Was told by support that “It happens” when something is “always on”.  I can’t help but wonder what will die next.  I’m looking for alternatives to the Connect:AMP from another vendor that stands behind their products better than Sonos.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Did they offer you a discount on a new Amp?  This is what I’ve seen offered to other customers when a product has a failure after the warranty period has expired.  I’m not sure you’re going to find a better deal then that with other vendors.  If there was a known issue that was causing many Connect:Amp ‘s to fail prematurely, then I think you might have a point.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

There's the Arylic A50 - well made but only RCA and Bluetooth, airplay input (approx. 150 usd if you buy direct) 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Multiroom-Integrated-Speakers-Arylic-A50/dp/B07W6K6CRH&ved=2ahUKEwjXvZ7265r0AhUi8-AKHUHBBZAQFnoECCQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0ptAo6sdjykYQ9aQCqo41L

Thank you!

Did they offer you a discount on a new Amp?  This is what I’ve seen offered to other customers when a product has a failure after the warranty period has expired.  I’m not sure you’re going to find a better deal then that with other vendors.  If there was a known issue that was causing many Connect:Amp ‘s to fail prematurely, then I think you might have a point.

Yes, they offered me a 15% upgrade discount.  When I built the house it was $6K for everything installed.  When something breaks you wonder how much you really need that component.  Unfortunately, I had expect more from dealing with a company as good as Sonos.  

Thank you for your response!

Alex

Looks interesting, I will explore this deeper.

Thank you,

Alex

It’s sometimes may pay to take-out small appliance insurance cover for such things, although in all honesty I tend to take the chance too that things will ‘far’ out-live their warranty period - However, did you not consider the Sonos trade-up offer and get a discount voucher off a new Amp.. I think that would have been my chosen option and then maybe protect it for longer with the small-appliance cover from the money saved… someone may buy your C:A for spares/repair too, perhaps?

Yes, I’m considering the 15% discount trade-in.  But have to wonder what else is going to die from the initial install.  This is not an urgent replacement.  It is used maybe 1-2x/month for an hour or two.  Just disenchanted with the 3 year lifespan being acceptable attitude.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Oops.  Be sure to check the input/output ports. 

I guess a lot depends on which sources you want.  It has Spotify Connect.

Check out the user manual. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

There's also the Yamaha wxad-10

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/accessories/wxad-10/downloads.html&ved=2ahUKEwiDu4zO9Jr0AhWQGBQKHTXFAuQQFnoECAYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0onxi4QQVGXrkELkM4qL0_

Yes, they offered me a 15% upgrade discount.  When I built the house it was $6K for everything installed.  When something breaks you wonder how much you really need that component.  Unfortunately, I had expect more from dealing with a company as good as Sonos.  

Alex

What more did you expect them to do?  Send you a free replacement?  A deeper discount?  I’m generally curious what you expected to happen in this scenario.

Also, anything you get as a replacement for your Connect:amp from a different vendor will not integrate with the rest of your Sonos gear.  The exception would be if you got a 3rd party amp and a Sonos port...but you’re still replacing with Sonos gear and probably paying more altogether.

Yes, I’m considering the 15% discount trade-in.  But have to wonder what else is going to die from the initial install.  This is not an urgent replacement.  It is used maybe 1-2x/month for an hour or two.  Just disenchanted with the 3 year lifespan being acceptable€ attitude.

I’m totally with you and I do completely understand.

Similar things have happened to me in the past albeit not with a Sonos product, but I too have not got the ‘life expectancy’ from a few things (electrical) over the years. That’s why I suggested the ‘small appliance cover’. Appreciate you are in the US, but here in the U.K. the cover is around £10 per month for three user-chosen appliances (upto £1000 each in value), so that can give some ‘peace of mind’ and a degree of confidence to buy again, perhaps🤔?

Alex

What more did you expect them to do?  Send you a free replacement?  A deeper discount?  I’m generally curious what you expected to happen in this scenario.

Also, anything you get as a replacement for your Connect:amp from a different vendor will not integrate with the rest of your Sonos gear.  The exception would be if you got a 3rd party amp and a Sonos port...but you’re still replacing with Sonos gear and probably paying more altogether.

Yes, a refurbished replacement and/or a deeper discount would have been acceptable. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Out of many audio devices I own (some 10 years) the only one to blow has been a Sonos Connect. 

When my Play 5 Gen 1 failed after 5 years, I didn’t even bother talking to Sonos as 15% off of a new unit would still have been over £400.

I found a small electronics company which rebuilt some of the circuits for £109 including carriage both ways. This was 11 months ago and I’m listening to it as I type. I have no idea how long it will last, but it seems much more responsible to try and fix appliances rather than just junking them. From threads on these forums it seems to often be a case of just replacing/bypassing a few components - easy if you know what you’re doing. I don’t, unfortunately :-(

Alex

Yes, a refurbished replacement and/or a deeper discount would have been acceptable. 

I would ask about the warranty no your next purchase if you expect them to go beyond the stated warranty for the product.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m good with the one year Sonos warranty for my use, I do plug them all into good quality surge suppressors to tame the iffy Arizona power grid. Never had one die from power related issues.

When I give a Sonos as a gift I either buy it from Amazon with a 4 year warranty or pick up a Square Trade warranty for non-Amazon purchases.

That Sonos offers any “deal” past their standard warranty is a nice thing to do.

3 years, $34   https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PC1TGQJ/ref=psd_bb_lm1_B07TFBDHBK_B07PC1TGQJ

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Interesting support response  “ Was told by support that “It happens” when something is “always on”. 

Does this mean that Sonos might consider providing products that can be turned off on a regular basis?

I’d find it easier to figure that’s more of an “untrained” response than a sea change concept for Sonos at large. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Airgetlam

I’d find it easier to figure that’s more of an “untrained” response than a sea change concept for Sonos at large. 

I’d agree - should have started my response /pigs may fly mode = on

LOL… yep :)