Answered

Connect Amp and Bose outdoor speakers

• 4 March 2018
  • 4 replies

can I hook 2 pair (4 speakers ) of Bose 31763 Free Space 51 Outdoor In-Ground Speakers to one SONOS connect Amp or do I need to buy two separate connect amps? The speaker wires would range from 50-100 foot long
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 10 March 2018, 00:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Shane, welcome to the community!

The CONNECT:AMP can power one pair of 4 Ohm speakers and 2 pairs of 8 Ohm speakers. It looks like those speakers are 4 Ohms, which means you'd be overdrawing from the CONNECT:AMP using just the one to try and power two pairs of them. If you had an amplifier capable of powering those speakers, you could have a CONNECT hooked up to it, using the Sonos CONNECT as the source for that amplifier.
Hi, I have the same exact speaker setup, and was wondering if there was ANY room at all for a second pair of speakers to be wired to a single CONNECT:AMP already running a pair of Bose FreeSpace 51's? I understand you can't run two pairs of FreeSpace 51's without overdrawing the amp, but I was hoping there was a way to potentially take advantage of the CONNECT:AMP's ability to run two pairs of speakers if one of them was a very light/underpowered speaker only there to provide fill-in/surround to the big boy, buried Bose pair. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Wiltev, there isn't much room, but it'll in part depend on how high of volume you put it to as that will increase the power draw on your CONNECT:AMP. There's a lot of good information about how much power the CONNECT:AMP has here.
I suggest try it and see how well it works; the Connect Amp will go into shut down mode for a spell before damaging itself if it is overloaded. IF that happens, try a impedance matching 4 speaker device between the Connect Amp and the two speaker pairs that will prevent this by restricting current draw automatically so that this does not happen.

And any problems are also unlikely for what you want to achieve as fill in sound from another pair if you are getting adequate sound levels from the present main big boy pair at less than 75% on the volume slider.