Question

Connect Amp and Bi-wired speakers

• 15 September 2017
  • 6 replies

Hi, has anyone tried to use 2x connect amps on bi-wired speakers and run the connect amps as one group?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

To what end or benefit?
Also, see this from a Klipsch article: "To properly bi-amp a system, the amplifiers’ power must be balanced and the speakers must be well within their frequency and power limits. This process should not be confused with bi-wiring, which uses a single amplification output source, but connects separately to the low frequency driver and to the midrange/tweeter.

True bi-amping involves hooking each amplifier to an electronic crossover that serves to supplant the passive crossover network built into the speaker (the passive crossover must be eliminated in order to achieve the advantages of bi-amping). This “active crossover” then connects to the appropriate speaker terminals; one for the woofer and another for the combined mid and high ranges."

Not possible in this case. You might as well use links between the two terminal pairs on each speaker and run a paired cable as usual from one Connect Amp to one speaker.
Thank you for your good response. The only purpose left, as I can see it, is one will double the power. What I really would like to do is to run 2 connect amps one on each speaker, 1 amp for left channel and the other for right and place the amps close to the speakers which will "eliminate" the speaker wires.
No, that isn't possible, the amp is not designed to run that way, in bridged mode. I see your point, and why it would make sense to do this, but I don't expect Sonos to do anything about it because their focus in terms of hardware in now on play units. That do more than what you are looking for, by eliminating the Connect Amp boxes as well. And the quality of sound/sound levels from the best that Sonos offers via a play 5 pair + Sub - or even just a 5 pair - is as good/loud as many speakers that you would use in the way you would like to.

And by the way, each 5 unit has 6 amplifiers inside it - one for each of its drive units.
Even the little play 1 unit, with two drivers, is bi amped in the true sense with two amplifiers inside the box. With an active crossover. Which is why it is no surprise to hear how good even a 1 pair + Sub will sound and how loud it will go without distortion.
Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but if you aren't satisfied with the power of the CONNECT:AMP, and don't want to use sonos speakers for whatever reason, wouldn't the solution be to use a CONNECT with a more powerful amp to drive the speakers?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but if you aren't satisfied with the power of the CONNECT:AMP, and don't want to use sonos speakers for whatever reason, wouldn't the solution be to use a CONNECT with a more powerful amp to drive the speakers?
Yes, yes it is. 200 wpc amps are available quite inexpensively, and that's a tripling of power compared to a Connect.