Answered

Connect AMP and Audiovector speakers - will they work

• 10 September 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
I have a Connect Amp. In our new house I want to wallmount some speakers, and are looking at the Audiovector On-wall speakers. Here is the specs from teh manufacturer, as well as a link:

Frequenzy Range -6dB ( 50-52 kHz)
Sensitivity ( 8 Ohm) 88 dB
Nominal Impedance 5 Ohm
X-over frequencies 800/3000
Power Handling 200W

http://audiovector.com/onwall-inwall-avantgarde.html

Additional question:
Does these speakers benefit from buying a Sonos Subwoofer?
icon

Best answer by Kumar 10 September 2017, 16:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If you want them to go loud, the Connect Amp may not suit. A speaker with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms can often drop as low as 4 at times, the limit of the Connect Amp tolerance. These may well drop to 2 ohms, given that they go down quite low, to frequencies that need more power to deliver with adequate sound levels. For that reason they can do without a Sub, but I would go with a Connect and a third party amp with more grunt, that can deliver the current drawn by them when the impedances drops.
If you can try these, the specs look more suited for Connect Amp, with nominal impedance of 8 ohms: https://www.dali-speakers.com/loudspeakers/phantom-install-speakers/phantom-ikon/
Userlevel 2
Badge
Kumar is correct - the 5 ohm impedance is difficult for a Connect:Amp to drive, and if you turn up the volume you'll most likely throw the amplifier into protection mode.

Something like a Niles SI-2150, Monoprice Monolith 2x200, or Outlaw 5000 being fed by a plain jane Connect will do quite nicely, though - and even a cheap Niles SI-250 will handle them much better than the Connect:Amp. Going to larger 5 channel amplifiers also gives you the option of more speakers later with a matched amplifier profile, if that's something you're interested in at some point.

Aside, that's actually a really beautiful designed speaker, it reminds me of a lot of the MartinLogan products with its folded electrostatic tweeter, but with Scandanavian industrial design influence. Part of why I fell in love with my VA speakers is aesthetics, and those have it in spades.