Answered

Connect Amp and Airplay 2

• 4 November 2018
  • 8 replies

Is it true that the Connect:Amp is not compatible with Airplay 2? I bought this device to plug in my Totem Staff speakers but can’t get any music on. I’m using iPhoneX to stream music and Airpplay won’t show the Sonos in the list of available devices.
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 4 November 2018, 09:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Yes, you are correct. You need a Sonos One, Beam, Playbase or Play:5 (Gen 2) in your set-up for Airplay 2 to work. As per this article: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US
However, once you have a Sonos device that can be an AirPlay 2 receiver, you can then group your CONNECT:AMP with it, and get the AirPlay 2 stream sent to the speakers it is connected to.
Thank you...and if I buy the Sonos Sub instead of a speaker would it work? And if it does, will I then be able to stream anything (once they are grouped) from the iPhone even from my free Spotify account or will I still have to purchase a Premium account from them? Thanks again!
The Sonos SUB is not an AirPlay 2 receiver. As UKMedia pointed out, you would need a Sonos One, Beam, Playbase or Play:5 (Gen 2) in your setup.

That being said, if you were to bond a SUB with any other Sonos speaker, when grouped with the AirPlay 2 speaker, it would work.

You would then be able to stream anything the iOS apps allow to be streamed. Once you're in AirPlay 2, Sonos no longer has any control over the content. For instance, I've been following a thread in which people are discussing a YouTube app on iOS that won't allow an AirPlay 2 stream to be generated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Connect:Amp is being replaced next month by the Sonos Amp - which will be Airplay2 compatible. You may want to wait and buy that if Airplay2 is important to you.
Thanks guys...I also read about the new amp yesterday so I will wait. All i need for now is the amp and possibly the Sub. Cheers!
Slightly off the main point, but even though this will allow you to play Spotify Free though Sonos, I wonder why you would buy a piece of kit like a Sonos Amp and then inflict the awful audio quality of Spotify Free on it?
Spotify is just one example...I mostly listen through my own music library collection but also stream through different apps, including Spotify, but even if I want to use my own collection, the current version of the Sonos Amp will not play through Airplay2. Don't want to pay for any of those online streaming services. The main point is that I need the new Amp in order to use my Totem speakers and connect through Airplay2...