Answered

Confirm best way to connect aux devices to Sonos

• 24 January 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
  • Contributor II
  • 9 replies
I've seen a bunch of threads on using Connect or Play 5 to connect up a single audio device. My Sonos replaced my entire home theater system so I don't have a good way to connect my CD player and turntable. I may go NAS some day, but not in the near future, so I want to keep utilizing the CD player.

Here's my current setup: Playbar, sub, and two One's for surround. The Playbar is connected via optical cable to my LG OLED TV.

The TV has an RCA input (via adapter) and I have connected the turntable to it. However, the TV shuts the sound down after a few minutes, likely because there is no video component coming in. That leaves me with no way to connect the turntable or the CD changer to the Sonos network.

Am I correct that I could buy the Connect along with an RCA selector switch (4 in, 1 out) and the Connect would play whichever input is selected out to all of the speakers? Any conflict with the Playbar being connected via the optical cable to the TV? What happens if the TV gets turned on? Does one trump the other?

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 24 January 2019, 19:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I
Am I correct that I could buy the Connect along with an RCA selector switch (4 in, 1 out) and the Connect would play whichever input is selected out to all of the speakers? Any conflict with the Playbar being connected via the optical cable to the TV? What happens if the TV gets turned on? Does one trump the other?

Thanks.
Yes, the Connect has RCA inputs, and you can send that audio to your other Sonos rooms/zones. I'm not following why you would need an RCA selector though, as you only mentioned the CD player as an input.

There is no conflict with also having a playbar in your system (it will not be the same viritual room as your other speakers.. You have the option of turning on autoplay for your playbar, so that it will switch to TV audio automatically whenever it senses a signal over optical. Likewise, you can set the Connect to automatically play from the line in source when it sense a signal. That does not mean the line source will start playing on your playbar room automatically though, as the two rooms need to be grouped to play in sync like that.
Badge +1
Turntable and CD which is why I figured on the RCA selector. I didn't realize the Playbar isn't in a room, but I looked and sure enough it isn't listed in the "Living Room" where the sub and Ones are. Although it does show as part of the "TV". Thanks for the helpful explanation!
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Turntable and CD which is why I figured on the RCA selector. I didn't realize the Playbar isn't in a room, but I looked and sure enough it isn't listed in the "Living Room" where the sub and Ones are. Although it does show as part of the "TV". Thanks for the helpful explanation!

I have the same situation... can you share with me the RCA selector you are looking at... it would be the solution for me as well. thanks
Badge +1
There are a few on Amazon, quite cheap too:

https://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-Output-Selector-Splitter/dp/B00NWJQSM0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1548533254&sr=8-9&keywords=rca+selector+switch

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Tabletop-Control-Switch-Internal/dp/B0056DQT1A/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1548533254&sr=8-16&keywords=rca+selector+switch