Checking S2 compatibility

• 28 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Checking my speaker in the Sonos app:  Everything is listed as S1, including the new One speaker I bought that is advertising as compatible with S2.  With the erroneous information I am receiving, how a I supposed to know if my subwoofer or playbase is compatible?  

Not only is the upgrade onerous.  Its haphazard. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I doubt it is showing erroneously.  All S1 only devices will be specifically marked as both S1 Only and Upgrade eligible, all other devices will say Upgrade eligible or nothing at all..  This is because the upgrade discount can now be used on some older S2 capable devices, such as the Play:1.  

You say you are checking in the Sonos app.  Would that be the S1 app? Are you running the compatibility checker?

I’m with them. You should log in here to check the status of your devices, for the best view.

I’m given to understand there are third party apps that can provide the same information, but it is not displayed in the Sonos controller .

Thanks for the replies

The confusing list is the hardware list summoned by “About” in the Sonos app.

Found another listing -- maybe on the site that sells products -- that was a bit more helpful.  However, information about the Playbar remains ambiguous.  Rest assured, when Sonos no longer supports that, will be replacing it with another brand.

“About” only tells you what is currently the state of that device, it has no ability to tell you what the potentials are.

That’s why we are suggesting you log in to the location I linked, where it does the appropriate analysis of the devices associated with your account, and shows their availability for software upgrading, as well as availability for the trade up program.